Chapter 11: Jaye

"Are you ready for the Great Splotching Championship?" the Level Five PE Mentors announced.

Jaye groaned. He'd forgotten that the Great Splotching Championship was that day. If there was one thing he was terrible at, it was telekinesis. In all but one of his previous years, Jaye had gotten eliminated in the first round. In Level Three, he'd made it to the second round.

Not that practicing in advance would've done him much good.

Between Jaye, Callista, Zoe, and Torrin, Jaye was definitely the worst at telekinesis. Callista and Torrin were average. And Zoe was great. Maybe it was because she didn't have an ability and therefore focused more on her skills, but Zoe had won the Great Splotching Championship in both Level Three and Level Four.

"Jaye and Kari, you're up against each other," a PE Mentor said, pointing to Jaye and a tall, dark-skinned girl in a Level Five uniform. He threw a yellow-green splotcher between them.

Jaye didn't react quickly enough, and the splotcher nearly burst on the floor before Kari caught it with telekinesis. She flung the splotcher back at Jaye. He tried to block it, but yellowish goop exploded all over his face.

"Knocked out in the first round," sneered Larrina, making Jaye jump.

"So what?" Jaye asked.

"I see your twin sister's still in the running," she added. "Don't worry, it won't be long now. And the fake elf." Larrina gestured dismissively at Zoe, who caught her glance and made a revolting face.

Jaye smothered a laugh. "Zoe's going to do great. Watch her."

Larrina scoffed. "Flukes."

"She's been in the top ten every year she's been at Foxfire. Even back when she was eleven. You call that a fluke?" Jaye demanded.

"It's the only explanation," Larrina said.

"Leave me—and Zoe—and Callista and Torrin—alone, or I'll make you," Jaye snarled.

"You'd get expelled," Larrina answered. "Oh, look, I need to get back to my next match, because I'm actually good at telekinesis."

Jaye groaned. Much as he hated to admit it, Larrina was right. Mesmerizing a fellow prodigy was a significant offense. That didn't mean he wasn't tempted. She deserved it.

Larrina won her next match. And the next. After she'd won seven more matches, Jaye was starting to consider mesmerizing her to lose. As long as he wasn't caught, it would all go great.

But his skills as a Mesmer were pretty limited. He'd probably get caught. But, if he didn't...