Chapter 4: Torrin

"What do you want Dad to make?" Torrin asked, standing in the door of his apartment.

"A camera that also has an elixir-launching component that we can trigger when we see our target and launch the elixirs at them even when we're not right there," Jaye said. No surprise it was pranking supplies.

"What for?" Torrin asked. "Please tell me you're not going to prank me."

"Oh, this is for Callista," Zoe answered.

"You're going to prank Callista? Doesn't she have enough to deal with already?" What are they thinking?

"No, no, no, we're not going to prank Callista, we're going to prank Lord or Lady Evil Person. AKA the person ruining my sister's life," Jaye said. "You in?"

"Obviously. You'll just have to sneak in because my grandmother is here again and there's a big screaming fight going on. It got so bad that Kai had to go over to Aunt Bex's house," Torrin explained. His younger brother, Kai, had ridiculously powerful empathy, which was horrible for him whenever fights broke out. It said something about Torrin's apartment when going to Aunt Bex's house was a refuge for Kai.

Torrin was used to the shouting, but his friends exchanged concerned glances as they realized that this happened nearly every week at his house. This was why Torrin never invited anybody over.

"Dad's probably working on one of his projects," Torrin said. "I would go in and talk to him, but I bet his door is locked with an impossible lock."

"I need an impossible lock," Jaye said. "Keep Callista out of my room."

"You go into her room more than she goes into yours," Zoe argued.

"Can't you conjure the lock off?" Jaye asked.

"It's integrated into the door or something and I'm don't have enough practice to conjure away a whole door," Torrin answered. "I'll knock, but he might be totally zoned out." Sure enough, Torrin's dad didn't react. "I'll get him out eventually. Come to my room. Grandma's not allowed in there."

Torrin's room was probably the messiest room in the whole universe, which was why, in his opinion, it was the best place for plotting. Plenty of junk to throw at people who had stupid ideas.

But apparently Jaye and Zoe had already plotted. They had just come over here for Torrin's dad's help making something. It was a little insulting. Torrin might not be as close to Callista as them, but he still wanted to help.

Jaye and Zoe began to explain their plan and Torrin had to admit it was pretty epic, but why did nobody ask for his planning skills?

"If Dad isn't done by the time you guys have to leave, I'll talk to him about this tonight, once the shouting fight ends," Torrin promised.

"Great," Jaye said. "We will be victorious!"