Night At the Opera

Chapter Ten

Night At the Opera

Prompt: High Society

" Ugh . This is torture."

"You weren't invited in the first place," Naruto shot back, glaring at his cousin, "all I asked you to do was get me a seat, dattebayo."

Karin shrugged, the bright yellow puffed shoulders of her gown fluttering with the motion, "well, when you said you wanted the best seat at the Opera House, I had to come see why. You hate this stuffy, high society crap, did you really expect me to not come?"

"Yes."

"Then you're an idiot and all that high education Auntie Kushina and Uncle Minato put you through was wasted," the redhead shrugged.

Naruto rolled his eyes, tugging at the neck of his starch stiffened dress shirt as he turned his attention back to the stage where the barrel chested, monkey-suit wearing male Aria stood center stage, his voice ringing throughout the room of entranced spectators.

Or rather.

Room full of entranced spectators minus two.

Naruto had to agree with Karin, this was mind-fucking-numbingly boring.

He hated opera.

Always had.

He didn't understand a word of what the hell they were singing, not to mention, the wide range of high pitch and low left his ears ringing long after he left the event. Opera was one of those acquired tastes the most bluebloods of his family and the snobs around them rushed to be seen at so they can brag about their private view boxes and how close they were to the stage as though any of that shit mattered.

Back when when nobody had cellphones and internet, opera was looked upon as an art form reserved damn near exclusively to the ultra wealthy.

Rich snobs would commission new compositions, pay for production then invite all their equally snobbish friends to watch the show they had nothing to do with besides fronting money, crowing about the ensemble as though the voice of the opera singers had come out their own throats.

In the modern age, all that pompous peacocking had lost it's value, but over the last five years, the upper echelon of society were determined to ensure it made a comeback in the 21st century.

Naruto didn't give a shit either way.

He was here to see tonight's up-and-coming Diva.

The future Prima Donna he'd only met and spoken to once for an enchanting hour at a Ball thrown by some elitist prick his dad did business with.

He'd seen her immediately, drawn to her the moment she walked in.

Not that her entrance had been very subtle.

Half the goddamn party, mostly male, piled towards the grand entrance to watch her arrival.

He'd assumed she was royalty or something, given the way her presence was announced, formally ( by the head butler), and informally (by the excited reaction of the party guests).

Instead, as he'd learned later after subtlety, politely and maturely, bugging the shit out of his mother for information and an introduction to the gorgeous woman swathed in yards and yards of sequence blue blushing in her circlet of male admirers.