Crush

This is one of two new Team 7 formation stories I want to write! One where the pairing is just NaruHina with wing man Sasuke like this one-shot, the other of course is a polyandry with NaruHinaSasu pairing. I LOVE how this came out and now my brain is full of new Team 7 slice of life nonsense! This is exactly why I can't get these prompts completed in order, lol. My mind wanders from one spark of inspiration to the next XD

Chapter Twelve

Crush

Prompt: Teammates

"There's a force right in front of us," Hinata relayed to her team, veined eyes fixed on the wide forest splayed just beyond the massive cluster of boulders they'd camped out on last night, "they're positioned primarily for defense, surrounding a small house connected to an hidden underground. There's a handful of shinobi inside the hut but none of them are our target."

"Guess Pervy sage wasn't blowing hot air, his intel checks out," Naruto commented, "his tip checks out."

Hinata nodded, "our main target has already moved on, however, we can't allow the hideout to remain viable should he return."

Taking a stick, Hinata drew a six-by-six grid in the dirt below, marking down an x where an enemy ninja stood watch, then drew three more x's representing them; Team 7.

"I'll take the outer parameter," Naruto decided, circling the figures in the dirt with his finger, "I should be able to surround them with shadow clones before they realize it."

Sasuke reached out with a small stick, circling his targets and stating, "then that leaves the inner circle for me. They won't be able to react to my shurikenjutsu in time at that close a range," he drew a line in the sand between both factions of x's, raising his eyes to their team lead as he continued, "I'll clear you a path directly to the target."

"Once we take down our targets, we'll be right there to back you up, dattebayo," Naruto concluded.

Hinata nodded, smiling back at him.

The world around him got a hell of a lot brighter, checks heating as he basked in the beauty that was a Hinata Hyuuga smile.

Sasuke coughed abruptly, breaking him from his trance.

Naruto cut narrowed eyes at his bestfriend, frown-pouting at the grin Sasuke wore behind the fist against his lips.

"Sasuke-kun, is something wrong?" Hinata murmured, her pretty eyes concerned.

"He's fine," Naruto answered for him, glaring at the older male, "he's just got something really stupid in his throat."

Gaze bouncing between the two, Hinata giggled quietly but didn't comment on the strange statement.

She was used to their subtle bickering by now, she'd spent most of their childhood, all of their teens and now their adulthood reading the silent language that often passed between them, after all.

Sure enough, like he'd thought, Hinata did what she'd done best right from the start, worked to head off any brewing argument between her hot headed teammates, "Naruto-kun, are we ready?"

Though what she was really said was "I understand Sasuke annoyed you, but please think of the mission."

He exhaled, replying, "yeah, let's do it, 'ttebayo."