Chapter 33: Job Hunting

"Are you really the most powerful demigod?"

"People say a lot of things about me." Percy commented as he took his turn on Wii Bowling. Somehow, that answer was more terrifying than if he confirmed or denied anything.

"Can you fight?"

He turned to Dean, his eyes unreadable and his voice flat. "Do you want to fight me?"

There was a moment of silence.

"No."

"Okay."

Dean cleared his throat. "So, why Wisconsin? Can't be for the scenery."

Percy snorted. "Gods, no. After I was forced to leave the camps,- I'll explain that another time- I started traveling a lot. I guess it was kind of like what you did." He tilted his head. "A lot like what you did. Anyways, I got to the diner when Boss was first really setting up again. He hired me on the spot, and I haven't left since."

"He hired you on the spot?"

"That's what I just said."

His friend shook his head. "He hired you on the spot?"

"Oh, fuck off. The man was struggling and so was I. Shit happens, we all make mistakes."

Dean shook his head, huffing a laugh. "I can't tell if you're saying he made a mistake or you did."

"And I'll never tell you. Is Sam still helping Hera look for a job?"

"Yeah," Dean flopped down on the couch after his turn and smacked Percy's thigh hard, ignoring his startled yah! "I think they were going around to cafes last time I checked in."

The demigod looked up from where he was rubbing his red thigh through the rip of his jeans, a frown on his lips. "... Why? She's barely tasted regular food before."

He shrugged. "I think it's more about her talking to people."

"Horrible. Disgusting. It'd probably work. Too bad they most likely won't hire her. She has no résumé to speak of and will probably kill the interviewer."

"Ah, yeah... It's been a few hours, should we check on them again?"

"I don't know, do you think we're smothering them? That we're like overbearing parents or something?"

Dean unhooked the Wii remote and tossed it to the side of the couch when the game was paused, lazily watching his best friend pace. "I mean, normally yes, but one of them is the queen of Olympus and the other is Sam."

Percy covered his mouth with his hand. "Oh, my gods, I left Hera alone with Sam."

"Chill, Sam's not going to do anything. If anything, I should be worried about Hera."

"Yah! Hera wouldn't do anything to Sam!" Percy exclaimed before pausing. "Probably. ...We should check in on them again."

-

After staying in Wisconsin for a week now, Hera realized very quickly that she did not like talking to humans. It wasn't because they were humans, surprisingly, but because she didn't like making acquaintances with anyone human shaped. Dogs were fine, though she preferred cats. They reminded her of Percy, funny enough. She liked talking with the Winchester brothers, Percy, Annabeth, May, and, occasionally, Artemis. She didn't think she needed anyone else in her life.

Hera applied for a position at the library Sam worked at, which was a good choice since May didn't want to train anyone new at the diner and Percy would be way too nice to her and probably get his neck snapped by the goddess.