Noah

So maybe I should've put 2 hoodies down. I stare at the big brown stain in the middle of my car seat and remember how the girl got the stain out of my shirt earlier. I run inside to get paper towels, baking soda, and water and come back outside quickly before the coffee can seep into the polyester cloth seats. I sprinkle the white, expired, powder on the seat and wet the paper towels. I hear a small voice behind me when I'm about to try lifting the stain.

"Soda works better than water, by the way, they just didn't have any at Starbucks." the voice says, in a way that makes me think the person feels bad for me. I turn around and see the same girl from earlier, except now she has a hat and gloves on. Her face is slightly pink, and her nose is bright red. She has at least 4 layers on, yet she's still shaking from the cold.

"Thanks," I respond, "but I don't think I have any soda right now." I don't mean for my tone to be sassy, but it is. Her face shifts ever so slightly, and I can tell that she doesn't pity me anymore. She walks away without saying a word and I turn my face back to the chair. I start dabbing away at the cloth, pleased to see that the coffee lifts off along with the paper towel, but I can still see where the coffee spilled, good enough. About 3 minutes pass and I hear a small cling sound next to me. I turn to see the girl standing before me and a can of ginger ale sitting at my feet.

"You're welcome," she says and walks back towards her house.

"Thanks?" I reply, not so sure that she heard me.