8

Back with Kristof, Lem, and Josef, I told them about my mild advances.

"Basically, we got nothing so far," said Kristof. With the bad vibes again.

"We are on our way. Things don't happen in two seconds. We have to wait; the officer got our point: Things need to change," I said, annoyed to the bone by this asshole.

"And things will change. You will see. But things do need to happen fast. We got a message," said Lem.

"What?" I asked.

"From our friends from Italy. They are well connected with what's going on over there," continued Lem.

"Italy? Come on! You are kidding with this, are you?" I said.

They all looked at each other. So I continued:

"Italy's military is a joke! And you know it!" I exclaimed.

"They are planning an invasion... and invasion of Malta," said Josef.

"Joke or no joke, they can gather around 40,000 troops and put up a good fight for this place, Federica," concluded Lem.

"Paratroopers, planes, foot invasion, everything, they are planning to throw everything they have at us," continued Kristof.

"Are you guys seriously afraid?" I said, I guess, wrongly.

They again looked at each other. Then Lem got up, walked towards me, and said:

"We are humans. We fear death, Federica. The Italians may not be Germans, but they can kill a whole lot of us. And then there's your kind, that will surely help them, don't you think?"

"My guess is we, I am sorry, they, are all in the Russian front. That's their bet. The Italians want to be helpful, but, my bet is they will fail miserably, as they have so far," I said, sensing the moment better. Then, I continued:

"As I said before, this island can and will change the outcome of this war, one way or the other. Recent events have made this clearer to me. This is why, if we go on the offensive, we will hurt and destroy everything they are doing. And, as I said before with... that doesn't matter now, but as I said before, this is war and people die in wars. Be ready for it. I am sorry; it is not my fault, but it's how it is."

"I think I am starting to see your point," said Kristof, with the good vibes for a change.

"What?" said Josef, surprised as I was too.

"Yes. From here, we can destroy their African campaign. And with that, the Russian as well. It is genius," said Kristof, to my delight.

"Exactly. But it has to be now, and it has to be decisive. Strong, without fear," I seconded him.

"There is no such thing as having no fear; you can only face it, embrace it, and win the battle against it," said Josef.

"You are right! Let's win that fight, to win the other fight!" I said. 

-----

"I spoke to my supervisor," said Jacopo, very serious, very solemn, very intense.

I stood there, waiting.

"And?" finally, I said.

"And... well, they are going to reinforce the island. A lot. But..." said Jacopo before going silent again.

Again, I stood there, waiting.

"What?" I said desperately.

"They, umm... they, my supervisors, are very curious of you. They want to know more about you. They want to talk to you. During the day," said Jacopo, knowing, without knowing, the danger of this for me.