Chapter 3 🌓

"The past beats inside me like a second heart."

- John Banville

*Aahaan's pov*

We were hanging out at Viraj's apartment, the place he weirdly liked to call the "bachelor's den."

When we moved here, he already lived in this apartment alone. He had a rough time growing up. Lost his mom at 8, and after that, his dad kind of disappeared on him. So, the three of us decided to crash with him. From day one at uni, Viraj made it clear this place was fair game. So, it was just us, and this apartment became our HQ (Headquarters).

Kiaan was grinning like he had just won the lottery, flashing his charming smile at me. "Dude, she was practically tailing you across the entire campus. And now I feel bad for her because if she'd seen me, she'd be following me for sure. I mean, just look at this face," he said, gesturing towards himself dramatically.

Kiaan wouldn't let it slide that easily. Reyansh and Viraj joined the laughter, and the fact that her image was clung to my thoughts. I did find the situation funny and strangely sweet but what bothered me more was how she managed to crawl into my head and it was annoying. I was annoyed at how she didn't leave my mind ever since that day.

I hated it.

Reyansh, the ever-inquisitive friend, nudged me pulling me out of my mind,"So, what's her name, Aahaan?"

And there I was, sitting like a deer caught in headlights. I had a total brain freeze. I couldn't remember it because I never asked her. "Uh, I forgot to ask," I muttered.

Kiaan smirked, "Smooth move, Casanova. You're such a dumbass sometimes."

As the laughter continued, Viraj - the wise, rich, and surprisingly caring one - strolled over.

"How's she, Aahan? Is she, like, clingy or something?" Viraj asked, a hint of genuine worry in his eyes. His question about her seemed casual, but I could sense the concern underneath.

I shook my head, dismissing the notion. "Nah, she's cool. Actually seems like a nice girl."

Viraj, with that knack of his, was about to dive into some profound advice, I could feel it. I cut him off before he could start to avoid taking a trip down the memory lane.

"And no, I'm not interested in dating anyone. You know that.", I stated firmly, as if reminding them for the hundredth time.

He sighed, a knowing look in his eyes. "Aahan, you can't live in the past forever. You need to move on at some point in your life."