7 》Lydia

Gemma approaches Lydia late one night. And Lydia knows something is up, just by the look in her eyes.

"What's wrong, Your Highness?" Lydia asks.

Gemma sits down on a bench. They are in Lydia's apartment in the west wing of the palace, and the bench by the front door of her apartment is where Lydia's Queen sits, looking smaller than ever. She does not look up, does not meet Lydia's gaze. She just stares at the floor.

"I need Gwen to do something. Something I doubt she's going to want to do, especially since what was done to her. She won't want to do this, but, Lydia, she must."

"Do what, Your Grace?"

Gemma smiles up at her, tears in her sad eyes. "You're a good person, Lydia. But tonight, I'm just Gemma."

"A - alright, Gemma," says Lydia. She kneels before her. "What does Gwen have to do?"

"She must be the leader of this group, a group of people with abilities .... powers like hers. She can't be the only one who has them, and I.... I've heard reports of such things from other officials in this city. But how would she do this, if she hates this place?"

"Well, you're her Queen. She has to do what you say," Lydia says. "But... she's also your sister.  So it's really up to you. You must decide how to go about this."

Gemma sighs, and her shoulders slump. "I know, and I.... I knew that I'd have to do this. But I.... I can't. I love her, Lydia. She's all I have left. If I push her away ..."

"Then don't push her away. Make sure she knows that it's not like either of you has a choice, but ensure that she's aware of your love for her, too."

"But wouldn't that just make her hate me, too? She traded one master, one she hated, with one she loves..."

"I don't know, but I know you're going to have to make a choice with this, Gemma," Lydia murmurs. "Gwen will understand. Someday, she will understand all of this."

"Or maybe she will understand, and hate me," Gemma mutters.  "Oh well. She has to do this. I need her to do this. So .... so I guess I've no real choice in the matter, do I, Lydia?"

Lydia shakes her head.  "Why do you need this group?"

Gemma's shoulders slump once more.  "Because of the upcoming war."