Unification

Vote and Comment please!

...

They were bathing him in rose petals and goatmilk. They were soaping up his body with honey and turmeric. They were greasing him up in olive oil and shea. They were polishing his blond hair with steam and smoke. They were lining his eyes with black kohl. They were painting his face with red rouge. They were draping his body in red silks.

He was being made into a Perion bride.

The maid beside him nudged his body into action, breaking him out of his glaring match with his own reflection in the humongous mirror, and he got up on shaky legs.

"Pray tell me, what is to be my title after today, miss...?

"My name is irrelevant, my lord. As for your title, it will remain unchanged."

"Alright. Thank you."

The neutral toned maid inclined her head in respect but she could not mask the suspicion in her eyes with indifference. She looked like she would poison him if she could.

Ryan wouldn't blame her.

...

"Crown prince Nusrat, born to King Frederick II of Perions and concubine Mariam." The priest announced, voice echoing through the near empty altar. "Prince Ryan Frost of Sythia, born to King Reinhart Frost and Queen Nadia."

Ryan stared resolutely at the tangled mess of his hands on his lap as he sat behind a table while the priest nudged forward the paper which would decide his fate forever.

"Prince Ryan, you may go first."

Ryan scanned the table for a quill, but found none in sight. He looked at the priest questioningly, and the nonchalant man gestured to the knife that lay adjacent to the paper.

"Sear the tip of your left thumb and leave your imprint on the paper."

The Perion rituals, as it turned out, were as barbaric as their battlefield etiquettes.

The younger prince clenched his teeth against the pain as he made a clean cut across his thumb pad, and laid the bloody appendage upon the paper, solidifying his future as the sacrificial lamb.

Or not, if the person beside him would refuse him at the very moment.

"Your highness."

Prince Nusrat shed his blood for peace as he shed blood for chaos, and within moments the peace contract before them sported twin bloody prints of thumb impressions.

"Congratulations. You are now spouses."

His job done with, the priest bowed to the king and disappeared. Ryan waited for a cue to stand up, but it never came. He turned to his now husband, but as soon as he opened his mouth, Nusrat had thrown his chair backwards and stormed from the hall as well.

Defeated, Ryan looked at his brother for directions, only to find the man looking like the cat who got the canary.

With a stomach sinking with every move, Ryan stood up, bowed to the king and took his leave, flanked by his new attendants on both sides.

He felt like a bird who had knowingly and willingly trapped itself into a cage.

A beautiful, golden cage.

...

Sorry this was a little short, I'll make up for it <3