Kage and I had become inseparable. We would meet in the forests everyday and share stories, raspberries, lips, tounges &c. And incase you are wondering, his lips did taste like how he smelled: cinnamon and smoke. Every time I would arrive he would lift me up and swirl around with me in his arms. Now this, dear reader, was the happiest I had become. I remember walking through the long silent halls of our castle. The paintings which once hung on the walls were gone and so was the usual cheer and jittering in the castle. My father indeed took a lot with him that day when he died including a piece of my heart but I had convinced myself that I had moved on. I rounded a corner when I heard my mother deep in conversation with Roman who was my father's army commander and about me. You cannot judge me for having wanted to hear what it was about right, and so I hid behind the pillar at the entrance of the throne room.
"The princess sneaks out lately your majesty. So much that it's concerning." Roman said hand on the hilt of his sword as if he'd draw it at any moment. He wore the kingdom's royal crest and was armed heavily that one would have thought the kingdom was under threat. My mother was clothed in the finest silk dress the kingdom could fathom and I knew there was no other. Her glistening blond curls rested on her shoulders, lips pressed in a thin line complementing her jaw and finally her crown was laid perfectly on her head. All in all she was the epitome of perfection.
"And so I've heard. Any idea as to where she goes?"
"None verified yet my queen but we have heard that she disappears in the woods west of the castle."
"It's rather alarming that all this happens under your watch Roman. Bear in mind your princess only has four winters left before she comes of age and ascends the throne."
"Pardon me your majesty but-"
"There will be no buts! Find out where she goes, whom she entertains and handle it. I'll not have her insolence mock this kingdom's throne. Understood?"
"Yes my queen."
After that encounter, I carefully stepped out of the palace and into the forest making sure no traces are left behind. If there is one thing I dreaded more than an angry Roman was a displeased Queen. I found Kage leaning against a tree, he took me in a few feet away and walked over.
"The flowers hide away in shadows. What happened?" He cupped my face in his hands scanning for any marks or injuries. He then placed a soft kiss on my forehead and looked at me concern written all over his features.
"Take me to the dark realm." Even I was surprised when the words left my lips but not more than he. His eyes widened and he read my face carefully but did not question me.
"I will but not today. The dark realm is safer for foreigners above ground and Kaida is not here."
"Safer?" A slight nod.
"Voices whisper in the grounds and not knowing you, they'll pull you in. It's a defense mechanism. But next time I visit, I will take you and that's a promise." He placed another soft kiss on my forehead and led me to sit under the tree. There he wrapped his arms around me as I laid my head on his chest hearing his soft heartbeat.
"I'm surprised your lands do not do the same." His words registered in my mind and I pulled away from his arms. Guilt must have probably been visible on my features for he asked, "They do, don't they?" A slight nod
"How then do I stay here unbothered?"
"When a foreigner steps on these lands, the flowers dry up from the foreigner's position to the castle grounds. This notifies of any threat but I-I-"
"You manipulate your own land." Kage finished for me as guilt of what I sacrificed for him to be here slapped me in the face. I looked away not wanting that conversation to go on. Luckily Kage understood and changed the subject.
"What are your strengths being the heir of the light realm?" He brushed loose strands of her behind my ear and ran his finger along my bottom lip. I shivered at the contact surprised I hadn't gotten used to it by now. I doubted I would ever for his touch was just so exciting more than once it made me lose my senses.
"My father would aways tell me that I got the power of creation and destruction." I elaborated further by running my fingers on the ground where flowers sprouted from the spot I had touched.
"And the destruction?"
"I can yield a sword." I could indeed yield a sword better than most warriors in our land but that was not the actual power of destruction. The actual had been a nightmare even for my father, so he taught me how to harness it discreetly. Kage must have thought it funny for he burst out laughing. To say I was hurt is an understatement. He laughed so hard his eyes were now tearing but I found none of what I had said amusing to say the least.
"You do not believe me," I had tried to mask the hurt in my voice but he saw through it. He quickly composed himself and held my hand.
"No it's just that-"
"I am no damsel in distress, Kage."
"I never said you were but-"
"Surely you don't expect me to just sit in the castle giving birth to your babies."
"I did not know you planned on giving birth to my babies."
"I- What? No! Shut up!" Heat rose to my cheeks and I instantly cursed myself for having said that out loud. Kage laughed even harder than the first and I enraged, pushed him with force.
"What I meant is, I'm as much a good fighter as you can ever be."
"Making flowers grow out of plain land will not make an enemy cower in battle." He said still laughing. Rage swelled my heart so much that I swiftly drew his own sword quicker than he could fathom. In seconds I was on my feet and had the blade to his throat. I pressed the tip into his throat my eyes never leaving his. His features had now grown cautious and surprised. My breathing was now heavy and my heart burned in my chest but this time it was rage.
"Do not ever mock me-" I pressed the tip harder, so much that I saw blood.
"Understood?" A slight nod. His eyes were now apologetic but I had had enough for the day. I dropped the blade on the ground and turned to walk away.
"I'm sorry." I heard him murmur as I now walked further and further away. It was so heart wrecking how we'd been together for so long but he thought so little of me. To tell you the truth dear reader, at some point I had even felt my heart sink down to my stomach, I had felt useless.