My mother had been right, I was out of shape. And when I approached Roman asking that he continue my training, he stared at me as if he'd seen a ghost. To tell you I enjoyed my training, would be an absolute lie. However, in a week I had been able to take down a dozen warriors. My hand to hand combat skills had also increased immeasurably. And in the week, Kage never stopped reaching out. I merely threw the notes away without as much as a single glance. I say it with ease but it broke my heart every time I had to. To my surprise,  the queen allowed me knowledge on the internal politics of my kingdom provided that I 'wouldn't give off the information for a few kisses'. Her words precisely. In the second week, I awoke to another note, this time I just left it on the drawer. Upon my arrival back, it was not there anymore. I was then summoned to the throne room where I found Roman standing before the queen, head slightly bowed. I sat to the right of what was my father's throne whilst my mother sat on the left.
"Princess Iris, the queen-" Roman started.
"A threat have been discovered in the north, we suspect that the reclamation is experiencing some- disturbances. Trees being cut down, the emblem of this kingdom being uprooted &c. Forces are ready to be sent upon your ord-"
"Send Iris," I snapped my gaze up to meet the queen's eyes.
"Go. Whoever it is, bring me their head." A slight nod. Rising from the throne, I tied my hair in a high ponytail walking out: for I was already armed and dressed for battle, since I'd just finished the day's training.
My fingers fiddled with the sheath tightened around my waist. On it sat, my father's long sword  which was now mine and twin daggers which were a gift from him as well. I mounted a pegasus and headed towards the north. The pegasus rode the winds with ease, it's huge wings harnessing the sky's splendor and finally stopped when a figure stood at the-the plain? My breath caught, the entire terrain was almost plain, blossoms had been brought down. The terrain had not been the most cultivated land but this was worse. It had been a war ground eons back, there had been a dark abyss  which no one knew where it ended. All our efforts to reclaim the landscape had been paying off until now. I recognized the silhouette which stood by edge almost immediately.
"Why are you here?" He turned, and seemed surprised as he took in my new look. I watched as he took steps forward but I stepped back.
"You- you summoned me. What happened here?" He motioned for the whole terrain.
"What did you do Kage?"
"I did nothing-" Drawing my sword, I slashed but he side stepped, I maneuvered and slashed again. He ducked the attack and gripped my wrists.
"Iris!" I  jabbed him in the stomach with my elbow. He stumbled a bit but then quickly wrapped his arms around me from behind. My heart beat madly against my chest, it was with both rage and pain. I fought and fought trying to pull out but his arms tightened around me.
"Iris," he pleaded, his voice softer this time. Stepping on his foot, his grip loosened and I pulled out. I rose my sword to his throat,my gaze never leaving his. His eyes pleaded but I was not going to fold this time. To my surprise he stepped forward the blade cutting through his skin.
"I did not do anything." And just like that, it had awoken. I felt it surge from my heart moving to my shoulder. Another step, "Iris-" the surge was now by the vein in the area where the elbow bends."Please, believe me. I didn't do anything," by my wrist. "Please," it was now or never as the surge reached my fingers. I could have let it kill him and bring honor to my kingdom and my mother however, as the venom shot out of my hands, I redirected my aim to the nearest standing tree in the terrain. The venom ate through the bark of the tree slowly spreading until the once green leaves had been reduced to a brown slimy ooze. The sound of footsteps echoed from the distance. They were coming. We had been so close to the edge of the abyss that one wrong footstep would have led to one of us falling in. The footsteps were now getting more clear and distinct. I dropped my sword and Kage wrapped his arms around me, placing a soft kiss on my forehead, "I didn't do it- I did not." My mind was now muddled up, they were getting closer and closer and closer. He placed his forehead against mine, the warmth of his breath brushing my lips. I placed my hands on his chest feeling that frantic heartbeat for what felt like the last time. They were now but a few heartbeats away. "I believe you-" I started, looking into his eyes. I didn't want to believe the bizarre reality of the situation. "But they won't." A shot was fired, arrow piercing through his shoulder. "Iris!" With a lurch, his body slipped over the edge and fingers scrabbled desperately to find grip on a rock. Everything became vague at the moment, even my own existence. I rushed and gripped his hand, he groaned in pain at the arrow in his shoulder, his body on the verge of disappearing into the chasm. However, then as I was staring at him, at our hands intertwined: I could have pulled him out, built an alliance between our two kingdoms, gotten married and lived happily ever after. Oh beloved reader, I could lie and say I lost my grip but that was not the case. I let go. As he fell, the look of hurt and realization of betrayal that had been on his face, is one I can never forget. Where his fall ended, or Kaida found him still falling when she bolted in moments after? I know not, but what I know is he lives. Tomorrow I ascend the throne but by the recent attacks on my kingdom and my life, I know he'll be here to make sure it doesn't happen. And so that's how we live, not happily ever after but we both just live—as enemies and that's enough, for if I had saved him that day, he would have died moments after. Moral of the story dear reader is, to not fall for the heart's treachery. Because I loved him so much, everything else was a blur and that's just to say how blinding love is. So in-order to ensure my people had everything, I had to give up somethings. For what can I say, not everyone is fortunate enough to get a happy ending.