Chapter 2: Scales of Temptation

Eddipus's eyes fluttered open, his young heart pounding. The boy's mind raced as he remembered why he had come to Seaside Alchov. He lay in the grand governor's hall, a place of opulence and woodgrain, staring at the intricate patterns adorning the ceiling of his quarters. He knew there was no time to waste. Eddipus blinked away the remnants of sleep, his bright blue eyes taking in the finely detailed tapestries as he sat upright.

A soft breeze drifted through an open painted window, carrying with it the scent of the coastal village below. Eddipus listened to the distant cries of gulls as he jumped down from the four-poster bed draped in furs, his bare feet meeting the cold wood floor. He approached the window and felt drawn to the vibrant colours. Past the open panes, the outside was like an elegant moving painting. As he peered out onto the bustling docks below, he was struck by the peaceful lives of merchants and townsfolk. The Alchovians lived happily, ignorant of the impending war.

The town thrived with activity, as vendors hawked their wares and children played amidst the sun-dappled waters. The rising sun cast warmth over the scene, a serene backdrop of lively orange and morning red hues. Eddipus couldn't help but feel a shiver of unease at the thought of what might befall such an idyllic place if they failed.

"It's time," he muttered under his breath, each syllable heavy with the weight of responsibility. "To prepare."

With a sigh, Eddipus thought. 'I will not fail you, Master.' as he dressed in haste. He left his quarters, his youthful agility making light work of the intricate halls. He weaved through the governor's residence, the dimly lit corridors filled with shadows and servants scurrying past. As he reached the ornately carved stairs, his thoughts were consumed by the urgency to unite against the encroaching turmoil.

Val's wife, Raven, and their son, Isaak, exited their separate rooms and met Eddipus at the top of the stairs. Raven's blonde hair framed her pale face, her calculating blue eyes taking in Eddipus's appearance with an air of concern. 'Why does she remind me of someone?' the elve thought.

"Good morning, Eddipus" Raven greeted, her voice smooth as milk.

His chest tightened. "Good morning, mistress." He gave a quick bow. "We must act swift if we are to gather forces for battle."

Isaak's eyes narrowed, and he clenched his fists at his sides. "We stand ready, Eddipus. I shall gather our best men."

"Most appreciated," Eddipus said, nodding gratefully as Isaak walked away towards the barracks.

"I shall rouse Val and prepare for the journey that lies ahead," Raven declared, her face a mask of countenance mingling with honour as she turned back and entered her quarters.

A few moments later, she came out with Val, and Together, they descended the staircase, the sound of their footsteps echoing like the forewarning drums of war. The governor appeared strong, features etched with a mix of worry and tenacity. His eyes met Eddipus's, and he nodded somberly, understanding the situation without a word spoken.

"Tell us, Eddipus," Val said, his voice steady but tinged with an edge. "what did the Master reveal in your visions?"

Eddipus paused, his heart heavy with the weight of knowing. He perceived the gravity of his words yet realized they needed to be said. He took a deep breath, focusing on the incense in the air.

"The Master revealed to me a prism, Val. An army from Cardamon savagely conquering all who dare stand against them. He warned that if the queen of Cardamon fails, Chestme shall rise, and if not the Glenoids, then the ancient spirit of Valaria herself. The visions foretold the resurgence of an ominous conqueror, poised to unleash chaos upon our world once more." As they reached their destination, Val couldn't shake what Eddipus was saying, hanging on his every word. "Our only solution is to rally allies and prepare for the battle near Chestme – it will be unlike anything we've ever faced."