Chapter 9: So that it may yield seed

Eddipus took in the opulence of the Rapha council chamber, still carrying the weight of old wisdom beyond his years. By his side stood Val, Low, and Arba, the Rapha guide. The island of Gath itself boasted unparalleled might, its colossal structures breaching the very clouds while its harbor cradled a sea of powerful vessels. Then there was the council chamber itself - The chamber was a cavernous expanse, columns stretching up like the trunks of elven redwood trees, their stone limbs supporting a massive, vast space. The ceiling disappeared into darkness, shrouded from any source of light. Towering before the group, dominating the grand hall was a colossal dais. Its impressive stature was accentuated by five imposing thrones perched atop it. The intricate tapestries hanging behind the thrones seemed to stretch on endlessly. A vibrant stained-glass window cast colorful beams of light onto the scene, illuminating the weighty grandeur of it all with its ethereal glow.

Eddipus's child-like side gave in, breaking through his facade of maturity. "How much longer?" he asked. Arba, in a low, velvety tone, simply replied. "Patience."

Eddipus felt the cold, ancient stones beneath his feet as Val, governor of Seaside Alchov, shifted nervously beside him. The thick air was suffused with the scent of salt from the harbor outside and smoke from the flickering columns and torches, adding to the tense atmosphere.

Val's gaze darted frantically around the posh room, his body tense and ready for any possible attack. The intricate murals adorning the walls seemed to come alive under his scrutiny, depicting scenes of epic battles and ancient legends. "This place is teeming with Rapha," he muttered, his weathered face contorted in wariness. His hand hovered over the familiar weight of his bow, feeling Mercer's solace and protection. Caution was key here. Just another set of Rapha, like the ones that had hurt him long ago and he wondered how Raven and the others were doing. At the behest of Arba, the ladies ventured to the marketplace. Yet in Val's mind, it could very well have been a sinister scheme to divide and conquer, picking off their group one by one. A tactic commonly employed by ruthless Raiders of the past.

****

"By the Master, would you look at that crowd?" Governess Raven exclaimed, her son Isaak striding beside her. Kalia clung onto Isaak's muscular arm, her body pressed close to his as she gazed at the sea of tall Rapha surrounding them.

Daaubond and Vaulurou were close behind, their eyes scanning the towering figures in front of them. The team trudged along a winding path, surrounded by towering trees and countless Rapha. Dressed in earthy tones, the giants stood shoulder to shoulder, creating an impenetrable wall on both sides of the thoroughfare. The air hung heavy with tension as they advanced deeper into the marketplace.

Athens, the captain, remained with the ship along with its sizable crew while Low, Val, and Eddipus accompanied Arba to meet with a committee of Rapha elders. Val had protested against splitting up yet Arba had been adamant they visit the bustling market before they departed. Raven was sure they'd be alright. As always, Val couldn't deny his partner's charm and persuasion. So off they went, weaving through the crowded streets.

The group shifted to single file. Bracing herself, Raven followed Isaak who was leading the way protectively. They made their way down the narrow isle of booths.

As the women gazed upon the overwhelming spectacle before them, a mix of fear and excitement coursed through their bodies. It was like a rush, exhilarating, yet intimidating at the same time. The towering Rapha men loomed over them, their muscular frames casting shadows. Despite their imposing height, they moved with grace and strength, their glistening bodies shown in the sunlight. Their long dark hair added to their handsome appearance. Their fierce presence was undeniable. Raven, Kalia, Vaalurou, and Daaubond could hardly be blamed for their flustered states. Amidst the cacophony, a sense of order prevailed.