Chapter 13: A Friend who sticks closer than a brother

Eddipus stood on the deck of the gally overlooking Silent Harbor's docks, his gaze deep despite his youthful countenance. The harbor was a symphony of activity; sailors barked commands and workers grappled with cargo. Ships swam in, docking alongside them. By his side, Val's face was a map of hardships. As the gally docked and the gangway was laid, wordlessly, Val detached himself from the ship and his companions, making his way through the crowded port and onto the island.

Eddipus watched Val vanish into the crowd, curiosity dawning on

him about his intended destination. He made his way down the gangway and onto land, the smell of saltwater mingled with the scent of spices and exotic fruits. He was joined by Isaak, Raven, Daaubond, Kalia, and Vaulurou, together with some crewmen. Their united aim was the recruitment of more allies for the looming war. Val, a seasoned strategist, always had motives behind his actions. They trusted his cryptic methods; they knew wherever he was going, he had his reasons.

****

As Val trod softly on the sandy terrain, he inched nearer to a solitary wagon perched at the brink of the harbor. Once saturated with vibrant hues, it now bore the marks of time and nature's relentless embrace. A quartet of cairns stood nearby, adorned with solemn symbols.

Standing before a tombstone etched with the name "Ziggio," the tang of the sea intermingled with the rich scent of the day. The memory surged through Val's mind, cascading over him like a wave, as his gaze fixated upon the resting place.

His stoic façade momentarily wavered. A specter of the past, A merchant sitting atop a wagon, "I'll throw in green leaf cloak. At least you'll be better covered, no? Free of charge." pierced the atmosphere, and the symphony of "Ziggio think archery and coin go hand in hand, no? Both take time. Much time. Vengeance, doubly so, friend." reverberated on the wind, pervading his heart with a haunting note. With unwavering resolve, he sank to one knee before the cairn of rocks. In an act of reverence, he paid homage to a cherished friend whose presence had graced his life for but a fleeting moment.

Val's trembling hand traced the exquisite leather on the weather-worn cover of the journal beneath his robes. Tenderly withdrawing it from his cloak, he summoned Ziggio's memories to life, his misty eyes mapping each page as if they were a sacred cartography. Its faded edges spoke volumes of countless odysseys. Within the timeworn parchment lay the consecrated narratives—

I turned back to my customer. "Ah, old geezer is still alive. Now, let's do business."

"Give me something to ease my suffering." The Darkling commanded me.

"Pain elixirs you need?" I smiled. "Yes, Ziggio has that too. But perhaps also a little something extra dealing in life as well. Ziggio can even make something extra dealing in death, no?". I knew this was the Dragon, and upon separating him from his three wives, I was able to paint his evilness, 'twas not only for mine own safety but to lay a curse on his weathered head. Ziggio knows of Dragon's treacherous ways and must deal with the old conqueror before it is too late. May whatever master the elves follow protect me as I deal with this malevolent creature. A sign will appear if he doth come back, in the skies, an enormous red dragon, its tail sweeping a third of the stars. 'Twill be as he was in life, a dragon 'til the very end. A wicked jest from Ziggio, no?'

This treasured repository transcended mere recollections. Val gently placed the journal upon Ziggio's cairn—a final offering bestowed upon his fallen friend. "I finished it." Val said. The very air around him quivered.

The sun cast extended shadows across the bay and Val stiffened, standing and turning back towards the docks.

Battle and grief had shaped him, leaving a multitude of unseen and seen scars that no one could fully comprehend. The rhythmic sound of waves against ship called out to him; however, for Val, they also hummed a requiem, symbolizing an end to Ziggio's journey. Carrying this heavy heart yet fortified by experience, he strolled up the gangway and stood silently, bathed in mourning. He found refuge in the creaking of the ship, comfort in the wake of the waters splashing ashore with a tune of 'Ziggio' still echoing within the corners of his mind.

Val recognized his friends and family approach with the gally's crew and a few newcomers. Eddipus, Isaak, Raven, Daaubond, Kalia, and Vaulurou rallied up the gangway onto the ship. A sense of resolution unfurled in Governor Val's heart, akin to a sleeping black rose opening its petals. The agonizing recollections slowly waned, giving way to a profound serenity. His focus was unwavering on one name—'Ziggio,' a silent oath made amidst stone graves; though his thoughts were also focused on the forthcoming challenges and the ones he held dear.

In a powerful gust of wind, the main sails of the battered and burnt ship billowed and unfurled. As Val witnessed the extraordinary display, his heart surged. Amidst the rustling palms and symphony of wind, he felt the sun's final rays brush across his facial scars in a gentle farewell embrace.

"Are you prepared?" Val heard Lady Raven's voice as she spoke to Isaak at the helm. It sliced through his thoughts.

"Yes," Isaak responded in a low tone, ready for any trials that lay ahead.

Val's hand ran over the shabby wood of the ship railing. His gaze fell upon Silent Harbor as one last thought of Ziggio seemed to mingle with the drifting sea foam.

"Yes, Ziggio cold. Ziggio dying. But Ziggio did not want to die alone."

Val remembered putting his arm around his new friend.

"Thank you, fellow. I should never have let that dragon into my home, yes?.." He gave a faint laugh that drifted with the open sea and within a heartbeat, Ziggio's breathing stopped, and his head dropped with the turbulent drift of the gally as it departed, sails snapping to attention.

Isaak's eyes riveted ahead, guiding the ship with resolute tenacity. His crew labored around him, constant in their efforts to uphold the speed and course.

A lone tear defied his rugged facade, mapping a trail down his scars.

"Husband," Raven said, siding up to Val, her keen eyes capturing a flicker of concealed anguish. "What burdens you?"

Val subtly shifted, allowing the ocean breeze to dry his exposed vulnerability. "Nothing," he murmured, disguising the depths of his sorrow. "Saying farewell to a friend."

Raven looked at him carefully, trying to understand his burden. Wrapping his arm around Raven's waist, he flashed a swift grin. They had welcomed several new faces aboard and done all they could on their journey. Now it was time for the next step...