05|Reunion

Kashvi's POV

People can be really heartless sometimes, and my best friend is a prime example of it.

Fifty, or probably more than fifty times. I rejected the plea of Aakriti to attend our high school reunion more than fifty times.

It's not like the reunion will be incomplete if I do not grace it with my royal presence.

The concept of reunions can be exciting and awaited to the ones who indeed had a contented and euphoric school experience. I don't relate to it on any level.

You all must be aware of the kids in your class who never participated in any extracurricular activity, never showed any kind of interest in making friends, the one who were always engrossed in their course book, forever good in studies, never made any efforts to try out their hands in some kind of sports.

I was that kid in my class and my school life was the worst.

Whoever thinks that school is a dream place where they would like to be forever - respectfully, I don't agree. I hoped as a kid that someone could use a magic wand and fast forward my school years.

The teacher's favorite. Maybe because I consistently scored good grades, and as I said, I was a quiet kid, so they never had any complaints from me about being a nuisance in class.

Again, I'm not blaming anyone for my miserable, appalling, and lousy educational life. In fact, I don't want to blame myself too. I tried very hard to associate myself with the other kids in my class, I tried to involve myself in some extra fun activity, or some sport, but unfortunately, that wasn't my cup of tea.

Aakriti, my bench mate was the only one who actually felt like someone in front of whom I could voice out my inner child.

They say friendships that start because of sitting plans are the best. Rightly say.

College too was the same story.

Unfortunately, Aakriti and I opted for different courses as per our interests, and that is why got into different colleges as well.

I tried to fit into the friend groups that were formed in our class. Heck! I even attempted to be like them. I heard the songs that were supposedly in trend among them, saw some pathetic movies and web series that they thought were cool, and indulged myself in some practices that were far from civil and whatnot.

I tried until I realised I could never be like them, because that is not how I am.

How did it take me years to understand this basic science? Science wasn't the love of my life anyway, maybe that might be the reason.

The day I realized it, I was the happiest. Never had I ever enjoyed my own company like that before. I realised how better it is to accompany yourself than being in a group which makes you feel like a loner.

And that is the only reason why I wasn't looking forward to attend this reunion because there's isn't a reason to do so.

Showing up to an event to meet old classmates of mine whom I don't even remember now. Where's the logic here?

Aakriti opened my cupboard today, stating she'd pick an outfit for me, and despite my constant denial, she chose a metallic red dress for the night which ends just above my knees, accompanying it with my favorite pencil heels. I wanted to wear my favorite black dress which was bluntly rejected. It feels like I am going to attend a Christmas party where I am playing the role of Santa. Just the cap is missing.

If things had been in my hands, never in my wildest dream would I have picked this dress. She is well aware of the fact that I don't prefer red, yet she gave this dress to me last year as my birthday present. Since the dress has enough glamour to hurt anyone's eyes, I preferred a more natural makeup look and decided to leave my hair open, which reached my waist. She was reluctant of my look but I shooed her away.