Chapter 1 | A Clash of Worlds

As I hurried into our living room, my mother was on about the past, like every other morning. Her favourite past time was to worry too much even about things that can't be fixed anymore.

"Aradhna, if you had taken Science, then we would've escaped all this altogether."

"Mama!"

"What, Mama? Tell her, Ashok. Wouldnt life have been much smoother? No late-night news deadlines, no rising up late, and especially no hustle to reach the office."

She continued her rant as she passed my father and me our respective cups of beverages. Dad loves his strong Masala Chai, and I like my coffee black and unadulterated.

"Your mother is not entirely wrong," Dad chimed in. "See, these media houses jobs aren't for people like us. They have bad relationships with so many people because you always are after someone's truth. Truth comes at a cost here, beta." Now, thats a way to put it. But...

My parents were both doctors and had done well for themselves. They'd also opened their own clinic, giving them more freedom to look after Jagruti and me. While I appreciated their aspirations for me to tread the same path, I never really could follow through.

"Papa, you too! What is this Aradhna Morcha (strike) you start every morning?"

"Morcha! Do you think we are speaking gibberish?" My mother waited for an answer with the most annoyed look ever as she placed my lunchbox on the table in disappointment.

"Nope! But like Papa always says - problems cant stay away from me, and neither can I from them. Plus, if I had this klutzy self working in a clinic, then the constant hustle would have been to reach the courts. Do you need that?"

I rubbed my mothers cheeks with amusement as I stood to head out for the office.

"Badmash (nuisance)," both my parents broke into laughter at my reply.

They continued even after that but I was too late for office to join in on their Aradhna Pity Party. So I headed straight for business.

---

The distant hum of people's voices formed a background as I contemplated my burning desire to escape from my current job. For the past two years, the grind has been nothing short of excruciating. Don't get me wrong; every profession holds its value, and I don't intend to demean any field. However, my heart yearns for something more, something that aligns with the career I envisioned (7 years back) for myself.

"Aradhna!"

"Sorry Sir," I was startled by my bosss voice. The conference room provided the setting for our discussion about the upcoming talk show event we were about to cover. It was unusual for me to be this distracted. And for people to stare at me as if they'd die for Boss attention, just like now. Who am I kidding? They probably are dying a little everyday.

The next few moments unfolded with details of the event and the plan to cover it.

"Hey, Aradhna, listen!" a voice ceased my motion out of the conference room.

"Oh, Tara," I acknowledged, spotting one of my colleagues and close friends over these two years of chasing glamour.

"Why were you so distracted? Are you still thinking about leaving? Did you bag the interview? Or is it entirely something different, how insensitive of me."

"Tara! Calm down, okay," I stopped her mid-sentence on her spree of questions accompanied with whispering that was barely even audible to me. Tara has always been a worrier, someone who cares about things that many would dismiss. But that's what makes her special—a patient listener, and it feels good to talk to her. Last week, I opened up to her about a vacancy at News Nation for the position of Intern Reporter and my contemplation of the opportunity. though the position was much lower than what I do now but we gotta start building somewhere.

By now, she was gazing at me with eyes that threatened to tear up if I didnt start answering her. "I dont know; I am still confused."

"Are you going for the interview tomorrow?"

"Yep."

"Then how are you confused?"

I wished it were that simple to explain and even simpler to act upon. News Nation India, an emerging news giant in the past 7-8 years, had conscious reporting at its core. It was already a dream come true that they accepted my candidacy given my experience reporting actual news, but being accepted was an entirely different ball game.

"Why leave now? You're the life of this place, Aradhna! You get paid handsomely, and the job, I mean, is a conundrum here or anywhere."

"Because, Tara, I'm meant for more—something that challenges my intellect, not just page 3 glamour. And if not now, then when?"

I'm pretty sure my last question didnt go rhetorically; it made her understand how much I needed this opportunity. Only if.

---

Next day as Aradhna rushed through the pouring rain, her frustration mounted with each passing moment. The relentless downpour obscured her vision, and the incessant honking of cars only added to her anxiety.

"Don't know which two forbidden lovers are meeting today that it's raining so hard. Can't decide if they're unlucky or if it's me. "

She mumbled to herself, as she struggled with her umbrella and the task at hand that was to shield herself from the deluge while scanning the street for a cab.

Finally spotting one, relief washed over her—only to be replaced by incredulity as a tall, dark figure slid into the vehicle just as she reached for the door.

"Hey!" she exclaimed, her voice a mixture of annoyance and anger at the audacity of the stranger.

"Hi," he smirked, while getting his hands out of the window only to reopen the umbrella Aradhna had shut in order to get into the car. He seemingly unperturbed by her ire, before instructing the driver to move.

Aradhna stood there, stunned, as the cab pulled away, leaving her stranded in the rain.

"I don't know where these scoundrels come from, thinking they own the roads," she muttered to herself, frustration boiling beneath the surface. "Damn it! I can't afford to miss out on this golden opportunity."

Determined not to let the setback derail her plans, she resumed her search for a cab, calling out to any passing taxi in desperation.

"Taxi!" her voice echoed into the rainy night, the palpable energy of her frustration mingling with the relentless downpour.

_____._____
WARNING: sexual content & profanity
INSTAGRAM: surrruu
Please vote • comment • follow
Hope you enjoy reading, xoxo Payal
Copyright of Payal Hansdah © All rights reserved.
_____._____