Chapter 6 | His or Her Story?

"No, you don't understand what I'm trying to convey," I hiss, the memory of my boss's inappropriate action still fresh in my mind. With my arms crossed tightly, I address the company HR representative firmly, "I refuse to be treated this way. Please file a sexual harassment case. Your boss needs to understand that this behavior is unacceptable!" My voice rises with indignation as I shake my head in disbelief.

"Aradhna, listen, I understand you're upset," the HR representative begins, attempting to calm me down. "But I believe Reyansh didn't intend to overstep..."

Tears threaten to spill from my eyes, but I maintain my composure as I interrupt, "I know your boss is influential and respected around here, but that doesn't give him the right to behave inappropriately."

---

"Hey Aradhna!"

People turn in their cubicle's and corridor as Natasha, Reyansh's secretary runs towards me as I get out of HR's cabin.

"A case against the Boss, really babe? You didn't understand him," she says, her tone a mix of disbelief and warning.

"I understand everything," I reply firmly, my resolve unshaken. "Every place has its boundaries, and your dear boss crossed them."

Natasha's expression softens as she tries to reason with me. "We've been working with him for so long. Girls get a sense of when someone's being creepy, you know? Do you really think your complaint will scare him?"

"What do you mean?" I ask, puzzled by her cryptic words.

"He's not afraid of anyone, Aradhna," She explains. "Not in the 'I have all the power' kind of way. He wants to see how much worse life can get. It's like a challenge to him—let's see how far things can go wrong. He's not indecent, just quirky."

"That doesn't justify his behavior," I interject, my frustration growing.

"It's a childhood trauma," Natasha continues, her voice tinged with sympathy. "A wound that never heals. Nobody knows what actually happened, but his no-nonsense, psychotic nature makes him the journalist he is—the best. And women are his weak points."

"He hates women? What kind of a man is he?" I ask, incredulous.

"When some wounds don't heal, that's just how it is, Aradhna," Natasha replies calmly. "And we love him for that. You'll come around, too. Trust me."

"No, this is a office, and not everyone's experience is same. I know I felt bad," I retort, standing my ground.

"Sorry, my intention was only to appreciate, not to misbehave," Reyansh apologized. He who had been listening silently or just chimed in on our conversation, I coudn't decide. He speaks up as he walks away immediately.

But his apology on top of Natasha's logic only fueled my rage further. "Do you find this funny?" I snap, my frustration boiling over.

"No," he replies simply, his tone unreadable.

"I will not retract my complaint," I declare, refusing to back down.

"Then don't. If you want to call a judge, call a trial. Want a jury? Do as you please," Reyansh retorts, his voice firm. "I needed to say sorry, and I conveyed it. Plus, it's the office, Miss Sahani. I have a pressing story to work on."

"You can't take away my story," I protest, my voice echoing down the corridor.

"Every story under this roof is my story," Reyansh replies coolly, his words hanging in the air as he disappears around the corner.