1.4 alright

The call had ended, yet he still remained staring at the screen. Maybe in shock. Or dismay. It was over. They were over. After a while, the homescreen had left, leaving him with the view of his lockscreen: undoubtedly a candid of Henry. Although it hurt, he didn't turn away. He stayed until his eyes were drained and lungs lost air. His sister, waiting, rushed to his side. Sorrow washed her face. He knew even if she tried, even June couldn't fix this, so...

"I'm heading out" 

It was silent out. Nearly 6 now, yet darkness grew from every corner of the sky. He couldn't run from it, he knew that but he dang well was going to try. 

June rushes to the top banister, looking beneath at her brother, still wearing his pyjamas from last night

"Where are you going, Alex"

Disgruntled, he grabs his keys and trench, rubbing his unshaven stubble in frustration. He jumps into his shoes and runs out. The cool air hits him. Disoriented he was, he pinches his arm, trying to wake himself up to the reality that he can't stay in that house. Their house. He gets into his car, but before making it through the drivers sides, he sees his sister at the door, breathless

"WHERE ARE YOU GOING, ALEX"

His First thought was the neighbours probably heard. Meaning the media will know in an hour. Meaning it'd be in Henry's eyes in a day. Henry. His disapproving face that impacted Alex so much it hurt. A thought that once brought so much joy, now plundered him in sadness. He paused for a second, glancing at his unknowing sister and slammed the door. 

--

He back out the driveway fast. He was choosing to run. 

Once he left their cul-de-sac, he raced through the roads. As he pressed the pedal harder, he felt his body become lighter, his vision foggier and his pain stronger. At every stop light, images of the two of them flooded back, fuelling him to risk it more. Risk it all. No repurcussions he thought, as the only person he feared he'd ever lose is gone. 

50. 60. 70... 

He didn't care anymore until, skrrrrh

Alex was thrust forward, taking the brunt of the impact. Yet he didn't care for himself, but the kids hobbling across the road. With their hands interlocked, their dishevelled faces glew in the headlights. He blinked as one peered inside, balancing on her tiptoes to stand a chance. The other, dragged smaller to safety. 

Sigh.

As the road cleared, with the encouragement of persistent honks, Alex drives slower this time. That night, no matter anything else, all that would have been remembered was that he hit 2 kids. His life. His work. Would all be gone. To that introspection, he looked into the mirror to see Cash behind. He turns to a diners parking lot, Cash follows.

Leaving the car on idle, he closes his eyes. He knows Cash will come in soon enough, say things he already knows. What he should've. What he shouldn't have. He knows June already called their mum. Who called Cash. Who's probably after loyal resistance, comes out with the truth, as the President is indeed where the money is at. He knows the night could've ended way worse for him. Kids could've died. He could've. But they didn't. And he didn't. Meaning Henry may never get go know what happened tonight. And its that thought that gnaws at him. After all of this, all he stills care about is Henry. After everything, he'll always choose him.