30. Chapter (Lafferty's Great Nose)

While both Isabella and Travis navigated the tumultuous sea of emotions in their hearts, even the esteemed majordomo Lafferty found himself grappling with his own set of challenges. The sting of Bethany's rejection in favour of Paul lingered, but what intensified his disappointment in the woman he once admired was her own sharp-tongued vile demeanour. The tidings of Travis nearly strangling his bailiff over Isabella reached Bethany's ears, prompting her to immediately align herself with Paul's side and proclaim Bella as the instigator.

"She certainly was provoking Paul! Surely, that woman willingly spreads her thighs for our young master. Who has ever seen a mere governess enjoying privileges greater than any of us?! And riding one of the horses akin to a peacock! As if she were a lady of elevated standing!" Her voice echoed through the dining room during one lunch, with no one opposing her, but also no one joining Bella's side.

"Your efforts are futile, Bethany," thundered Lafferty sternly as he approached his former flame. "We are all well aware of what kind of man Paul truly is. Your reluctance to acknowledge it is merely your concern. I implore you to refrain from involving Miss Ward; she is innocent!"

Bethany scoffed and shook her head. "Well, look at you too, Lafferty. So, you've succumbed to the charm of that young harlot, and rather quickly at that!"

At that moment, he reddened with anger, and a certain expression on his countenance even gave pause to the spirited woman that Bethany was.

"Miss Ward is a lady of kindness and virtue, well beyond your grasp! I must confess I was a fool to have once harboured genuine affection for you, you contemptible serpent!"

His cutting remark elicited a muted chuckle from the servants present in the dining chamber, yet Lafferty paid them no attention. Turning away, he took his seat at the table, not deigning to look in Bethany's direction. Bethany, too, found herself crimson-faced and unable to utter a single word. She promptly exited the chamber, likely seeking solace with Paul to share her grievances. Nearby, Corliss leaned in towards Sarah and whispered,

"What are your thoughts on this, Sarah?"

The older maid pondered for a while before responding,

"I find myself increasingly drawn to Mr. Lafferty. He seems a man with his head in the right place. It's just a shame he chooses companions like Bethany."

Corliss squinted, studying Lafferty's features. She had to concede that, in the hierarchy of attractiveness, the majordomo didn't stand out—he could be thirty-six at most, with rust-coloured hair, delicate freckles, and a prominent nose that dominated his countenance. Lafferty paid little heed to the glances of the servants, focusing solely on his repast. Once done, he efficiently cleared the plates, following through with his routine. The estate was always bustling with activity, and despite his pledge to Travis to investigate the arsonist, he found himself lacking the time and opportunities he desired. 

Initial tasks included securing fresh supplies, overseeing the procurement of raw materials for the reconstruction of burnt structures, and acquiring a new fence to encircle the property. After deliveries, he meticulously inspected the goods and disbursed the agreed-upon funds to the merchants, a task often performed by the Marquess himself when present. Travis, without reservation, joined the workforce, contributing to the labour alongside the servants and lads, inadvertently expediting the tasks. However, Lafferty was uncertain whether the increased pace was due to his assistance or rather the imposing aura that commanded respect from everyone around him.

However, even as the labour progressed, the Marquess appeared more and more sombre day by day, refraining from engaging in conversation with Lafferty and not deigning to respond to his inquiries unless they pertained to the matters of the estate. Indeed, he didn't need to; the majordomo quickly discerned the intense tension between him and Isabella Price. Then came the soirée in honour of Princess Augusta Frederica and the associated tasks, which Lafferty handled masterfully given the limited time he had.