57. Chapter (And A Letter Concludes The Ending)

Fortnight had passed, and the chill December breeze nearly snatched the hats from the heads of Travis and Daniel. Thereupon, they observed the children – Teddy with Rowena, and Julien too – cavorting in the fresh snow, endeavouring to erect a snowman. A broad smile adorned the Marquess' countenance, catching the eye of his brother-in-law.

"You seem quite content, Travis. Finally, after all those vicissitudes, you deserve it," remarked Daniel, placing his hand upon Travis' shoulder.

"I might harbour some reservations about that," came a voice from the fence, where Arden casually leaned.

"Indeed, how else," Travis muttered, casting a sidelong glance at smirking Lord Price, noticing Isabella accompanying Eliza as the women approached.

"Arden, I heard from Lafferty that the inquiry concerning Elinor Merryweather has concluded, is it so?" inquired the Marchioness St. Arcey with curiosity, to which her brother nodded.

"It is, and if you are interested, I can share some of the information we managed to uncover – I caution you, I myself was considerably disturbed by the depth of animosity that fuelled the actions and impelled the entire deed."

The countenances of the young individuals turned towards Arden – the Duke and Duchess had already departed Marlborough by that time, returning to Bath before the snowfall. Lady Kendall, too, departed swiftly following the nuptials, perhaps owing to her pressing duties awaiting her return to London.

"Speak, Lord Price," urged Travis.

Arden distanced himself from the fence and began gently rubbing his fingers on his hand. "Elinor Merryweather has indeed commissioned an assailant upon your person, Marquess, purportedly acting at the behest of another, but she adamantly refused to elaborate further on this collaboration or disclose her own remuneration. Nonetheless, her symbol of a cross was situated beneath her left shoulder blade."

Travis sighed — as long as the miscreants roamed freely, he was likely not secure.

"Furthermore, she was extorting Mrs. Gilchrist," Arden continued, "after proposing her confidant Paul Bramble as a paramour. The child she recently gave birth to is his, a fact Mrs. Merryweather intended to wield against her should she have resisted and failed to guide Bella through the labyrinth at Silverton Castle straight into Bramble's clutches."

A frisson of fear coursed through Bella as she comprehended how narrowly she had avoided personal peril.

"Paul Bramble was also implicated in the attempted assault on Isabella in the tent during the village fair. He was the mysterious figure Bella glimpsed in the house corridor that one night - even then, he was endeavouring to chart the optimal course for abducting Lord Darlington. Initially, I believed it was the Dark Angel, but, as we are aware, none who encountered him eye-to-eye survived."

This time, the Marchioness cleared her throat and observed Travis as he approached her, taking her hand and bowing slightly before pressing a kiss upon it.

"Mrs. Lydia Winthrop now resides behind bars, serving penance for the regrettable demise of late Lord Robert St. Arcey – a missive, confirming her culpability scribbled in her own hand, was discovered within the halls of the Merryweather estate. My deepest condolences, Marquess."

Travis acknowledged with a dignified nod.

"As for Mrs. Elinor Merryweather, she shall face a trial for the grave charge of treason and, sadly, meet the ultimate consequence. In such an event, her family's estates and intertwined fortunes would be subject to forfeiture to the Crown. Consequently, I fear you shall not receive a farthing from her, St. Arcey. However, you are likewise relieved of any obligation to repay the loan you procured."