Chapter Four

Prince Baelon has never witnessed anything of this nature previously.

Queen Aemma's chambers were full of midwives including Grand Maester Mellos. The midwives all had a quiet purpose. They arranged silk sheets, heated water, and soothing herbs, all while they were casting quick glances at the queen whose labor was imminent. The air was charged with anticipation as the queen's contractions grew stronger, her breathing deepening with each wave. The chamber usually looked bright in past days but in that moment it didn't seem that way. The only light that generated any kind of lightning was the sunlight shining on Queen Aemma's face. Her forehead was already full of sweat and her face of discomfort is more obvious than the previous days.

The midwives too were full of sweat on their foreheads as they worked tirelessly preparing everything for the queen to ensure a smooth process. Their faces were full of concern, Baelon could see that very well, after many times of this happening and no babe coming through in the past places them in a difficult position.

In the midst of it all, Prince Baelon is caressing his aunt's head. He wanted nothing more than to help or provide something to make any of this bearable for her but he can't. He knows he can't do anything. Baelon only has to let nature take over the situation.

"You will be alright." he whispered as Aemma groaned again. "You will get through this."

He doesn't know how Aemma managed to reply, she chuckled while in pain. "Y'know...after a lot of time...I think I am finally going to have my little Baelon."

He couldn't help but smile in return. "Baelon? You finally decided."

She nodded again. "Baelon is fitting. Besides, you were always like a son to me." Aemma shifted uncomfortably in her bed. "I hope you don't mind."

"Nonsense, I don't. I told you that before. I'm honored." Baelon gave his aunt a kiss on her forehead.

"Mother?"

Queen Aemma and Prince Baelon both looked towards the door to find Princess Rhaenyra.

Prince Baelon's eyes were captivated by the sight of Princess Rhaenyra standing there, adorned in a stunning crimson gown. She looked absolutely resplendent, a vision of elegance and grace, her presence casting a radiant glow in the room.

She approached the two of them, Baelon giving her space to have some time with her mother.

They exchanged a few words. It was mainly Rhaenyra giving her words of encouragement.

Baelon smiled at their interaction. It was no secret that these two women loved each other more than words could provide. It made him miss his mother.

"I will be alright, my love," she smiled through the pain, "go on, I will see you soon."

"I love you mother."

"I love you more my dear."

Rhaenyra let go of her mothers hand while the midwives were trying to place the queen in a more comfortable position.

She looked at Baelon, who was already looking at her. "So, the tournament, shall we?"

Prince Baelon just kept looking at her purple eyes. Something about them on this particular day was different. Her eyes were like two brilliant purple gemstones that seemed to pierce through the darkness. He immediately thought her eyes would cast spells of enchantment on all who met her gaze.

"Baelon?" Rhaenyra managed to capture his attention, a slight smirk was forming on her face.

"Oh, yes," he offered his arm for her to take, "We shall."