Chapter Seven

It has been a couple of days since Queen Aemma died and those last days have been heavy for the soul of Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen. She felt completely empty and like a piece of herself died with Aemma as well.

But Baelon wanted to be strong for Rhaenyra —he has too. Rhaenyra has been completely shutting herself off from everyone and, can Baelon blame her? Loss and mourning can be quite a very difficult and strange thing to go through, but equally painful.

He had nothing else to do than take walks at night throughout the halls of the Red Keep, ignoring everyone who tells him he should be sleeping. He didn't want that, he barely sleeps anymore and the days go long and boring.

Baelon decided to walk past the throne room. He knew there isn't supposed to be anyone there at this late hour anyway, so he can walk freely over there — that's what he essentially thought until he heard voices coming from the room and decided to stop and listen.

"You will address me as "Your Grace," or I will have my Kingsguard cut out your tongue. "The Heir for a Day." Did you say it?" Baelon heard Viserys ask.

There was a beat of silence until a voice replied. "We must all mourn in our own way, Your Grace."

Daemon.

Baelon's blood started to boil and his hand turned into a fist. One of many weaknesses that Daemon possesses is his impulsiveness. He sometimes — no — most of the time, never stops and thinks how his actions will affect others.

He's so fucking selfish.

"My family has just been destroyed. But instead of being by my side, or Rhaenyra, you chose to celebrate your own rise! Laughing with your whοres and your lickspittles! You have no allies at court but me! I have only ever defended you! Yet everything I've given you, you've thrown back in my face."

"You've only ever tried to send me away. To the Vale, to the City Watch, anywhere but by your side. Ten years you've been king, and yet not once have you asked me to be your Hand!" said Daemon.

Baelon understood where he was coming from. As much as Daemon is the way he is, in his opinion he could be a way better Hand than Otto Hightower is. Baelon doesn't know if that's his dislike talking or because that's what he truly thinks Otto is as Hand.

"Why would I do that?"

"Because I'm your brother. And the blood of the dragon runs thick."

"Then why do you cut me so deeply?"

Baelon sighed deeply when Viserys asked him that. He also understands Viserys, and having Daemon as a brother can be an extremely huge headache every single day.

"I've only ever spoken the truth. I see Otto Hightower for what he is."

"An unwavering and loyal Hand?"

"A cunt. A second son who stands to inherit nothing he doesn't seize for himself."

But then again, Daemon is telling the truth. Baelon agrees and by the Gods, he so wants Otto out of their lives and Viserys to realize what he truly is — and it pains Baelon to think this way because he's Alicents friend and Alicent isn't at fault for things her father does.

"Otto Hightower is a more honorable man than you could ever be."

Baelon scoffs but is immediately interrupted by Daemon's voice.

"He doesn't protect you. I would." Daemon's voice raised more.

"From what?"

"Yourself." He says, it sounds almost like a whisper. "You're weak, Viserys. And that council of leeches knows it. They all prey on you for their own ends."