Week Three

It's Saturday evening again, and Lan Zhan is exhausted. He can't wait to get home and fall into his bed. He's heading towards the elevator to the parking garage to get to his car. His mind was numb from the workday. In front of him in the hallway is two nurses talking; he pays them no mind. 

"I'm so tired I literally cannot feel my feet anymore.", cries nurse number one.

"I just want my bed; screw going on a date tonight. I'm refusing to go anywhere tonight!" says nurse number two. (yes, we talk like that).

Nurse number one speaks again, "Poor Dr. Wei."  Suddenly, Lan Zhan is all ears to their conversation.

Nurse number two said, "Are you sure it's okay that we left him sleeping at his desk? I tried to wake him up, but he wouldn't budge. He didn't stop all day or eat anything either."

Nurse number one replied, "I already instructed the housekeepers to clean his office last and wake him up so he can get some sleep before trying to drive home."

All three people had finally reached the elevator, but only two got on. Lan Zhan stood before the elevator for a moment before making a decision. Having finally decided, he turned around and walked back down the hallway to Wei Ying's office.

While not precisely shocked at what he had just heard, it still pained him. He will go and check on him before going home. 

Sure enough, he opened the door to Wei Ying's office and found him with his head lying on top of his crossed arms, softly snoring. He looked so peaceful, but a long lock of his hair partially covered his face, which bothered Lan Zhan greatly for some reason. So, as he brushed aside that lock of hair, Wei Ying called out his name in a whisper. He somehow felt Lan Zhan's large hand brush against his face and leaned into it. Lan Zhan froze and forgot to breathe. 

Wei Ying smiled softly and said his name again but never opened his eyes. This is when Lan Zhan realized that Wei Ying was still sleeping. He let go of a breath he didn't know he was holding. He's falling deeper in love with Wei Ying; his wall is crumbling down, but he still clings to what's left. He is still afraid to trust his heart.

Still, he gently picked up Wei Ying and placed him on the couch he had noticed earlier when walking in. He covered him with his coat and reached for his phone. He placed an order for food to be brought to the hospital. He sat down to wait while studying Wei Ying's face and trying to understand why he continued to cling to the painful past when his possible future was lying before him literally.

When the food arrived, he woke up Wei Ying. Wei Ying was startled to find himself on his couch and Lan Zhan with him. 

"It's late. Wash up and eat something, and if you're still too tired afterward, I will take you home."

Wei Ying gave Lan Zhan one of his brilliant smiles and said, "You do care for me a little, don't you, Lan Zhan?"

A blushing Lan Zhan growls, "Go, wash up, don't get carried away."  Lan Zhan was having trouble with his beating heart, which threatened to leave his chest.

 Smiling throughout dinner, Wei Ying is so happy to eat and spend time alone with Lan Zhan. He happily applies chili oil to his food until it's screaming and red.

"You're not seriously going to eat your food like that, are you?" says an astounded Lan Zhan.

"I'm sorry, but you're not going to eat that bland food, are You? Not even a tiny drop of soy sauce?" smirks Wei Ying.

Lan Zhan blushes yet again, "For your information, I cannot tolerate spicy food, and  I simply cannot walk out of surgery because my stomach is about to explode."

Wei Ying bursts with laughter, "No, I guess not."

Dinner is over, and as they're getting ready to leave for home, Wei Ying appears even more tired. While leaving the hospital, Wei Ying trips, and Lan Zhan rushes to catch him. As they fall to the ground, Lan Zhan feels a wetness on his chest. He looks down at Wei Ying and sees a bright red blotch spreading across his chest. It looks like blood. In a panic, Lan Zhan proceeds to check Wei Ying thoroughly.

Wei Ying, realizing what has happened, just giggles. "Oh my God, Lan Zhan, I'm okay; my chili oil packets burst when we hit the ground."

Without thinking, he grabs Lan Zhan's face between his hands and looks deeply into his eyes. Suddenly, he smashes his lips against Lan Zhan's, pouring all his feelings into that kiss. Lan Zhan returns the kiss, suddenly lost in the feel of Wei Ying's lips against his own. They only stopped when they ran out of breath. Time had stood still for just a moment, but it gave Lan Zhan pause. Finally rising from the ground, Lan Zhan takes Wei Ying to his car, not trusting him to drive. He will take him home himself.

Wei Ying softly asked, "Does this mean we are a thing?"

Lan Zhan gruffly replies, "No." He can't trust his voice to say anything further.

Saddened but unwilling to give up, Wei Ying asked, "Lan Zhan, next Saturday is the hospital Christmas party at my uncle's home. Will you go with me to the party?"

"No, I detest parties, loud music, and crowds of people," answered Lan Zhan.

"Fine, then I will go by myself. I'm sure I can find someone who wants my company," says Wei Ying softly. So soft he didn't think Lan Zhan could hear him.

But he did hear, and the thought of Wei Ying with someone else made him change his mind in less than three seconds. "Fine, we will go together but not appear as a couple; I don't want to fuel any gossip."

Wei Ying readily agreed; he was happy that Lan Zhan accepted to go. He just wanted to be with him any way he could. "Great, I will pick you up at 7 pm. Thanks for the ride; I will see you soon."

Driving home, Lan Zhan's mind is in turmoil. "Why did the sadness in his voice and the look on his face pierce my very soul? Why did the thought of Wei Ying's lips touching another hurt so much? His laugh, smile,  and sparkling silver eyes fill his every thought. He doesn't remember ever feeling this before. He no longer remembers his previous lover's face, not since Wei Ying came into his life. He only now realizes he was probably never in love before, but only with the thought of being in love. This time, his heart tells him this is real and he should not turn away. He only now needs to convince his brain.

During the third week, Lan Zhan and Wei Ying slowly became a thing. So quietly and slowly, no one noticed except Wei Ying. Lan Zhan's heart and brain are becoming one. He is now more than sure he is in love with Wei Ying. Not much of his self-made wall is left.