chapter thirteen - deny, deny, deny.

❝ KAREV, LEAVE THE SARCASM TO ME

❝ KAREV, LEAVE THE SARCASM TO ME. ❞
( season two, episode four. )

AVERY'S LITTLE VOICE ECHOED THROUGH THE CAR, "Mom, Mommy, Mommy!" She repeated it over and over again, hoping to catch her mother's attention. Her short legs strained to reach the back of her mother's seat, desperate for a reaction.

Lindsey glanced at her daughter through the rearview mirror, her patience wearing thin.

"Avery, now is not the time for your tantrums," she said, her voice tinged with frustration.

Avery continued to thrash in her car seat, her protests growing louder.

"Mommy, I don't want to go!" Avery screamed, finally managing to kick the back of her mother's seat.

Lindsey's exasperation reached its peak as she exclaimed, "Avery!" Her outburst caused Avery to fall silent, slumping back into her car seat.

Lindsey couldn't help but wonder what had gotten into her daughter today, this behaviour was out of character for the 5 year old who was usually cheerful.

As she kept her eyes on the road, she couldn't shake off the concern. 

"I don't know what's gotten in to you today, but it's not a good look on you, missy," she mumbled loud enough for the child to hear.

The young girl fell silent, her gaze fixed on the passing scenery outside the car window.

The mother quickly realised that her actions may not have improved the situation, because it was important to remember that she was just a child, still learning how to navigate and express her emotions.

"Avery, sweetheart, what's going on? Tell me, and I promise I'll do everything just to make it better." Lindsey said, her hands tightly gripping the steering wheel as she finally arrived at the kindergarten parking lot.

"Do you promise?" Avery whispered, her mother turned around to face her after parking the car.

"Of course, Ducky. You know I always keep my promises. Now, please tell me what's got you all worked up." Her mother reassured, reaching over to gently wipe away the tears from the child's eyes.

"This boy in my class said my daddy doesn't love me anymore because he never drops me off at school." Avery's voice trembled, as her mother also took notice that it was the first time she referred to Derek as her dad.

"Well, how about you tell that little boy that your father loves you more than anything in the world? Let him know that your daddy would do anything for you because you're his little princess."