A Very Sad Day (8)

30th November

Today was a sad day for a lot of people. Shane McGowan died at his home in Ireland. Johnny and the rest of the family received the news while they were at home with their children. Leah and Johnny had just been for a walk with the baby and Jacob and were now eating a snack at the dining table.

"Johnny, are we going to spend Christmas here this year?"

"I think so. Do you want to spend Christmas here?"

"Yes, I know this place is getting a little cramped now we are a family of 6, plus Dan. In a few months little Tomi will need a bedroom of her own and the only other bedroom we have is Lily-Rose's room which she uses when she visits." Leah loved this house, as did everyone else, but it was getting too small for everyone. "What should we do?"

"We could go back to New York. The house we had there was amazing."

"Yeah, but it only has 4 bedrooms. We are no better off there than we are here."

"Good point. Perhaps we should sell the NY house and this place and find somewhere else-" Johnny's phone vibrated. He pulled his phone out of his pocket and checked it. A few seconds later Leah's phone also vibrated. They both turned their phones on and clicked the notification. It was a breaking news story. 

Singer of The Pogues, Shane McGowan, has passed away.

Leah and Johnny looked across the table at each other, neither of them blinked. Johnny stood up and walked straight to his office. He needed to let everyone know who didn't know already.

Jacob was confused, "Mama, what's wrong?"

"Oh, nothing. Daddy just has to call some of his friends on the phone. Don't worry."

While Jacob ate his snack, Johnny called everyone he knew who also knew Shane. He called Stephan and Gina together and everyone else at Infinitum Nihil. Once he spoke to all of them he called Shane's wife, Victoria, on the phone. While he called her Leah came in and gave Johnny a cup of freshly brewed coffee. She thought he might need it now he had to keep up to date with everyone now more than ever. Leah also offered him a packet of crisps, but he shook his head and only accepted the cup of coffee. Johnny spent the following few hours in his office. He had to cancel going into the local art studio as well because he needed to support Victoria through this time over the phone. "...We'll be there on the 7th of December, ok?" When the many hours passed Johnny emerged from his office. His hair looked messy and he seemed stressed and on edge. He sat down on the sofa and held his empty coffee cup to his chest. Leah quickly made him a fresh coffee and swapped his old cup for a new one.

"Here is a fresh cup."

"Thanks." Johnny took it and drank a huge gulp of it even though it was steaming hot. He sighed and then finally relaxed and laid back on the sofa. "I've called everyone I can think of. Victoria is really upset."

"I can only imagine. Are you upset or is that a stupid question?"

"I am upset. I just don't think the sadness has actually hit me yet." Leah kneeled on the sofa and took Johnny's head in her arms and held him to her chest. "You can cry if you want to, ya'know. I sheded a few tears while you were in your office over Shane."

"Aw, babe." Johnny kissed her. "I think I'll cry later. I am too full of adrenalin now."

"Ok. What do you want for dinner?"

"Pffttt... I don't know. I kinda want to order some pizza after Jacob has gone to bed and have sleepover pizza party."

"We can do that. What do you think Jacob will want for dinner?"

"Make him some pasta or something..."

Once Jacob was in bed Leah and Johnny ordered some pizza for themselves and ate it in bed. Leah had a chicken, ham and cheese pizza and Johnny had a peperoni pizza. Since Leah gave birth she couldn't eat a lot. It was like her stomach had shrunk (which was sometimes normal) so she could only handle eating half of her pizza. Johnny took the rest downstairs and put it in the fridge to keep from going mouldy and dry. They then went to bed.

The following day was also quite sad. Johnny spent a lot of the morning on the phone with Victoria (Shane's wife) and some of his other friends. Leah felt bad for Johnny, but she couldn't help him. Shane was Johnny's friend, not hers. Johnny needed time to help his friends while she looked after the kids and kept them from disturbing him. Little did Leah know, worse news was coming soon...

Some big drama is coming...