Dad's Distractions (17)

20th January

Today was the 20th of December. Today was another working day for Johnny so he spent a lot of the day in his office on the phone with Infinitum Nihil. As he was at work, he got an email saying his gifts for Jacob and the twins were arriving today. Johnny rolled his eyes and sighed and then left his seat. He found Sean and Malcolm sitting in the living room watching television with Jack sat between them. Johnny leaned over the back of the sofa and patted Malcolm on the shoulder.

"Oi, man?"

"Yeah?"

"I need you to follow me outside for a sec..."

Malcolm followed his instructions and followed Johnny out of the front door. The corridor was drafty, somebody must have left a window or door open somewhere.

"What is it?"

"The twins' Christmas presents are coming today in about an hour. I need you to answer the door and move them into my office while I'm on the phone." He whispered.

"Alright, sir."

"Good. There should be 5 boxes of Lego, ok?"

"Alright."

"Ok, good. See you in a while." Johnny and Malcolm walked back inside and Johnny returned to his office.

*

About 40 minutes later a delivery driver knocked on the door and Malcolm answered it. Unfortunately, the loud knocking woke Tomi up from her sleep.

"Wahhhhhhhhhh!"

Leah was sitting upstairs in her room. Jacob was playing on the floor with his action figures while Tomi was supposed to be sleeping in her bed. Leah lifted her out and tried to calm her down.

"Shhh, Tomi. It was only somebody knocking on the door. Shhhh! We have to be quiet while daddy works."

Eventually Tomi calmed herself down and fell asleep in her mothers arms.

Malcolm carried the boxes of Lego into Johnny office as quietly as he could and tucked them away behind some of Johnny's coats and jackets which were hanging behind the door. Johnny smiled and mouthed "Thank you" while he spoke to somebody on the phone and Malcolm left.

*

A few hours passed and Johnny finished his work for the day. He left his office and quickly scanned the room to make sure Leah and the kids weren't around. "Are my wife and babies upstairs?" He asked Sean and Malcolm who were now in the kitchen making themselves a coffee.

"Yeah. Jack just told us Tomi had a poop-explosion so Leah is bathing her. He has just gone out to visit a friend." Sean said, slightly grossed out by what he just said.

Johnny grinned. "Alright. You boys can finish that coffee and go if you like. I'm all done."

"Alright, man. There's nothing else you need?" Malcolm said. He glanced towards Johnny's office and winked without Sean seeing.

"Erm, no. I'll be fine for the rest of the day."

"Alright, man."

The boys finished their coffee and left. Malcolm texted Johnny as soon as he left and doubled checked that Johnny didn't want anymore  help.

M: Are you sure you don't need any more help?

J: Yeah. As far as Leah is aware the boxes are all for Jacob. I'll hide them then wrap them. I'll see the twins tomorrow and give them the Lego.

M: Alright. See you tomorrow.

J: Good night.

While Jack was out and Leah and the kids were upstairs Johnny went back into his office and looked at the various boxes of Lego.