Secrets (15)

Even though they'd eaten dinner and finished their date, Johnny and Leah weren't ready to go home quite yet. As Johnny drove the car they chatted.

"So is this it?" Leah asked.

"I guess. What else do you wanna do before we go home?"

"I want to go on an adventure!"

Johnny smiled. "Alright, where to?"

"I actually don't know... can we just sit in the car and talk?"

"Sure."

Johnny parked the car on a quiet road and put the radio on. "Wanna do one of those carpool singing things? Like the ones James Corden used to do?"

Leah smiled, it was like he read her mind. "Of course. I can hook my phone up to the radio and we can sing to some cool songs."

"Ok."

Lead linked her phone to the radio and started playing songs they both knew. Leah wasn't quite sure what song to pick first so she just typed in Rock. One of the first singers that came up was John Lennon from The Beatles. Leah picked one of his songs and 'Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)' started playing.

"Wanna sing?"

"Sure, sprinkle muffin." Johnny said without thinking.

"Huh? What did you just call me?"

"Nothing, let's just sing, ok?"

"Close your eyes
Have no fear
The monster's gone
He's on the run
And your daddy's here 
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful boy
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful boy..."

They sang the main parts of the song (which everyone knew) but Leah was still hung up on what Johnny just called her.

Once the song was over Leah asked him again. "Baby, what does sprinkle muffin mean?"

Johnny paused the radio and turned to Leah. "Nothing. I just heard somebody say it earlier and I just copied them, it means nothing."

"I swear I've heard it before..."

"You wouldn't have. A guy at the art studio said it earlier... you don't know him..." He lied.

"Hmm. How was the studio today?"

"It was... good. I worked on more merch. The t-shirts are looking awesome, darlin'."

"Good. You look very clean..." Leah looked at Johnny's normally messy hands and fingers. They were spotless. "Didn't you paint anything today at the studio?"

"Erm... a little."

"Your hands look so clean..." Leah reached over and stared at the palms of Johnny's hands and his fingers. They had no traces of paint or pen ink or glue or anything. "Did you wash them really well?" His tattoos were the only colour on his hands and arms. Just black tattoos and tanned skin; no pink paint, no red ink, no white dried glue marks on his bracelets, nothing.

"Yes. I showered when I got home before our date, remember? I used some of your fancy soap and it made every ounce of paint come straight off my hands. I should use it more often..." He joked. "Babe, do you think I'm lying to you?"

"No... I just find it odd that your hands are so clean when you've been at the studio all day."

Johnny didn't want to keep lying, but he couldn't let Leah know where he'd really been. "Anyway, what song should we listen to next?"

Leah passed her phone to Johnny, "You pick one."

Johnny pulled his reading glasses out of one of his many pockets and scrolled through the songs on the phone. He landed on 'Can't Buy Me Love' by The Beatles and when it was over it was followed by, 'Ooo Baby Baby' By Smokey Robinson. Johnny passed Leah her phone back and closed his eyes. The music took his mind to a different place and clearly after today he needed that. The twins couldn't be found out yet.