Chapter 3

Silver Lakes was every bit as idyllic as the name suggested. The snow covered trees that lined the Main Street were adorned with wreaths and it felt in many ways like stepping into another world.

"Are you sure you're in the right place girl?" Alya asked through the speaker phone. Marinette had just spent the last 20 minutes retelling her best friend all about what had happened at the motel and how Adrien had done a runner on her this morning.

"I'm pretty sure." Marinette replied as she drove out of the Main Street and past several decorated houses with white picket fences and beautifully manicured gardens. Marinette didn't mind admitting this looked just like the kind of place she could live in. Maybe when she retired though. First she had a business and career to establish. "Oh wait... I see his black Jag up ahead."

"Seriously? Well at least he did pay for your breakfast and give you those chocolates, which by the way you could have at least left me one if they were as sinful as you described."

"Yeah, yeah. I'll ask him where he got them from, but if he thinks I'm going to go easy on him over some chocolate he has another think coming. Got to go. Talk soon."

Marinette pulled the car over and put it into park. She took a few deep breaths before getting out and heading over to the Jaguar. Tapping on the window, she waited for his inevitable smile which was going to have no effect on her whatsoever.

"Fancy seeing you here Princess." He said cheerfully. Why did that smile make her heart flutter like that?

"And I don't suppose your Aunt happens to live in this street does she?" Marinette quipped, trying to sound like she had caught him out.

"I remember telling you my Aunt lived outside of Silver Lakes. Far outside in fact." He then started to chuckle because he couldn't keep the pretense up any longer "Actually my Aunt lives in London. I was just saying that because I didn't want to give away all my secrets. And how about your sick friend? Are they feeling any better?"

The genuine way he asked that was almost disarming. Maybe he had acting lessons to go with his modeling? "Oh, yeah, um..." Marinette stuttered. "I talked to him... her... and she's feeling much better... now... than she was last night." She gave him a far too wide grin and Adrien shook his head.

"Uh-huh. You know you would be hopeless in a poker game, Marinette. You're a terrible liar."

Marinette folded her arms indignantly. "Oh yeah? How so?"

"You chew on your bottom lip when you're lying or nervous."

Marinette was surprised to find he had been that observant. The only other person to have ever pointed that out to her was Luka...

Just then, a short Chinese Man in a caramel coat and a multi coloured scarf came down the footpath with a walking stick. "That must be him." Marinette said, scurrying away from the car. Adrien quickly got out and followed her.

"Mr Fu." Marinette called out. "Mr Fuuuuuuuu."

Skidding on the slippery footpath, Marinette was about to have another close encounter with the concrete when Adrien rushed in and caught her in time. "You really need to be more careful." He admonished. "If you keep hitting your head you're going to end up with a concussion."

"Are you alright Miss?" The older gentleman asked.

"Yes. I'm sorry I rushed at you like that. You are Mr Wang Fu, right?"

"I am indeed." Fu replied. "But most of the people in town affectionately call me Master. May I ask why all the excitement?"

Marinette flushed with embarrassment. "Oh... It's just that... well... I um..."