Chapter 6

"Luka?" She gasped. "What are you doing here?"

It wasn't lost on Luka that Adrien had moved into an almost defensive position between Marinette and where he was currently standing at the top of the stairs.

"I just want to talk to you. Nothing more, I promise."

Adrien narrowed his eyes at the musician. "Is that a legitimate promise? You don't seem to have the best track record when it comes to making promises."

Luka could feel those emerald eyes burning a hole straight through him. "I see Marinette told you what happened." Luka sighed. "But I give you my word, I'm not here to cause her trouble."

Master Fu stepped forward to the top of the stairs with one hand raised. "I have been speaking to young Luka here while we waited for your return. I feel that perhaps some closure on the situation may be overdue." He then beckoned Adrien. "Come Adrien. I have some goat's milk we can warm for that little one there. I'm sure he must be cold and hungry."

Adrien looked at Marinette and she gave him a small nod that it was fine. He returned her a reassuring look as he took the kitten from her. "If you need me just call out, alright." He said before glaring daggers at Luka as he walked past him. Luka avoided making eye contact.

Once the others had gone inside, Luka invited Marinette to come sit with him on the chair swing that was on the porch. Marinette made sure to leave a gap between them when she sat down.

"I thought you were in America... with her." Marinette said, an undeniable bitterness in her tone as she said her.

"Not anymore." Luka replied. "But I'd like to tell you what happened, if I may." Marinette didn't respond, but she also wasn't trying to leave so Luka took that as permission to continue.

"There is nothing I can say that can change what happened. I screwed up and I have no one else to blame for that then myself. After what happened between you and I Jules wouldn't speak to me, at all. Any messages regarding the band either went through Rose or our Mother. It was a bit hard to keep a band together when your own sister won't even speak to you. Lila was in my ear the whole time and suggested I sign up to a solo deal with a studio in California. She apparently knew a guy there and had connections, but thing's weren't everything they seemed. The album was alright I suppose, it wasn't as successful as I had hoped and Lila was fairly unimpressed. The music just didn't come to me the way it used to." He glanced towards her, but she had her eyes downcast and wasn't looking at him. "Then Lila started getting cosy with the producer and, well, she didn't stick around after he offered her a solo gig, and her own condo."

Marinette couldn't help but think about what Adrien had said about Karma. She felt sorry for Luka in a way. He had lost everything because of Lila, but then he also deserved it after what he had done.

"What happened to Kitty Section?"

"Jules hired another lead guitarist and they are still going pretty strong on the club circuit. She is talking to me now at least. But it took baby steps."

Marinette glanced at him before looking ahead of her. "Is that what you're hoping for with me? Baby steps."

Luka shook his head. "I'm not expecting anything. I hurt you, more than I can imagine. I don't deserve your forgiveness."

"I did." She said quietly beside him. He turned his head towards her.

"You did?"

"Yes." She replied. "I forgave you Luka, a long time ago."

"Marinette..." He whispered, leaning closer and lifting his hand towards her face, but she sharply jerked away from him and Luka quickly retracted.

"I'm sorry." He said apologised. "I guess maybe I was getting my hopes up. I... I still love you Marinette, I never stopped loving you."