❃14❃

LIAM'S P.O.V.

I found myself clutching onto Zayn's jacket as if it were an anchor in a storm. It struck me then, in that moment, that this was exactly what I had been missing – the warmth of Zayn's lips, the comfort of his presence.

I couldn't ignore the pull anymore. Even as my rational mind screamed warnings of impending regret, the temptation pushed me forward, craving the touch of his lips against mine. I knew it was reckless, impulsive, and undoubtedly, I would regret it later. But as Zayn's gaze locked with mine, filled with an intensity that left me breathless, I found myself unable to resist. It was as if he had cast a spell over me, drawing me in with an irresistible force.

I wanted to lose myself in this moment, in him.

His tongue gently teased at the edge of my bottom lip, a soft hum escaping his parted lips. And that was all it took for me to snap out of my daze, my breath hitching in my throat, only to find Zayn still leaning in. He wasn't planning on to stop anytime soon and I knew I should slow things down. So, I had to place my hands firmly on his chest to slow the rush.

"Zayn, wait," I gasped. His hooded eyes, lost in the intensity of the moment, slowly refocused as he loosened his hold, unwrapping his arms from around me.

"Sorry," he murmured, scooting back a bit. "I guess I got a little carried away in the moment."

I glanced at him, his features softened by the dim light, and a sea of emotions played across his face. The way his eyes held a depth of intensity, the slight quiver of his lips betraying his vulnerability...

Each expression reflected the honesty of his feelings. It was clear to me that, for him, this kiss was more than just a spur-of-the-moment act.

Unlike me, who acted solely on impulse...

I feel like a total bitch to be admitting this, but for me, it didn't hold the same weight, or at least that's what I tried to convince myself. Seeing the honesty in his eyes made me feel a twinge of guilt. I couldn't shake the feeling that I had used him in some way. Maybe I hadn't realised how much this meant to him.

Shit!

Shit, shit, shit!

This was a mistake. 

I wasn't ready for this. I couldn't handle the depth of his feelings.

Our deal was about securing the inheritance, not getting tangled up in emotions and complicating our relationship. I couldn't afford to let personal feelings risk our carefully crafted plan. I couldn't afford to get attached, and I definitely couldn't let him get attached. No, I needed to find a way out of this mess, and fast.

"This... This was a mistake," I sighed, the words escaping my lips in a shaky breath.

His eyebrows shot up in surprise. "What do you mean?"

Guilt crept up on me as I stared down at the wooden floor of the gondola, feeling a flush of embarrassment rise to my cheeks. When would this ride be over? It was already far too awkward for my liking. 

"I mean..." I began, hesitating as I struggled to find the right words. "The plan was to fake a relationship to get into my Dad's will." I glanced up at him. "Not us making out in the heat of the moment."

Zayn's expression shifted, his features clouded with contemplation. And a heavy silence settled between us as I stared at the water, silently praying for the ride to end before he found the right words to break the silence. The clear air suddenly felt suffocating, the tension was thick enough to cut with a knife. Still, I braced myself for his response, unsure of what would come next.