Hits Different

I woke up the next morning, the blanket still wrapped around my body, somewhere other than my bedroom. Unfamiliar with the place I'm in I sit up in my seat not realizing there is a body in my lap. I look down and see Kyra's head laying on my thigh, her body rising up and down as she breathes. I look off of the couch and find Lessi and Vic sprawled out of the floor. Not wanting to wake the Australian on my lap I reach for my phone on the table behind me and scroll through Instagram. Wanting to post something on my story I choose a picture Vic took of me and Kyra from the night before.

 Wanting to post something on my story I choose a picture Vic took of me and Kyra from the night before

I scroll a little longer, liking a few posts of the national team girls. While doing this I admit I got a little homesick. As much as I love England I miss living with Trin and Ashley and being so used to where we lived and the customs everyone followed. I miss being able to visit Kristie in New York any chance I had a few off days and playing against all of the national teammates.

At this point I feel Kyra being to stir on my lap, and she picks her head up from my lap.

"Good morning" I smile at her despite her still being half asleep.

"Was I asleep there all last night?" she asks worryingly. "'I'm so sorry if I made you uncomfortable, I'm a huge cuddler"

"It's alright, I didn't mind it" I blush

"Do you want a coffee or something" she then asks me

"Sure" I reply and we make our way to the newly unpacked kitchen.

As Kyra and I make our way to the small kitchen I think to myself, I've only known this girl for less then a day I already feel so safe in her presence.

She shuffles around the kitchen trying to find a few coffee mugs, I watch in silence not in a creepy way. Just more of amazement. On the second day she is moving herself with such confidence, much more than what I did when I first got here.

After we finish making the coffee Vic and Lessi join us in the kitchen.

"What time is training today" the British girl asks still sluggish

Vic looks down at her watch. "In an hour" she says in a heavy dutch accent. "I better get going, Jonas wanted me in earlier today"

Vic then leaves, not far behind her was Lessi who needed to go pick up a prescription.

Once again this left me and the Australian alone. For some reason all I could feel in my stomach was nerves. I look across the table we were sitting at, she's scrolling through her phone unaware all my eyes are focusing on the girl in front of me.

"I better get going back to Beth and Viv's house" I say breaking the silence surrounding us "I need to get my training gear, if you don't mind I could give you I ride"

"Thank would be great thank you, I don't have a car yet" Kyra chuckles

Kyra's apartment isn't that far from my current residence, only a 10 minute drive.

"What music do you like" I ask her fiddling with my phone

"Anything"

I find my Taylor Swift playlist hitting shuffle. Soon the small car is filled with the sounds of I Can See You. I sing along to one of my favorite albums glancing next to me every now and then, at one point I see her pull out her phone and record me.

"Omg, you cannot post that my voice is awful" I playfully yell at her when we reach a stop sign. I reach over next to me trying to grab her phone to delete the video. Not realizing I put my hand on her thigh.

I quickly pulled it off hoping she didn't notice let alone notice how red my face got.

Either she didn't notice or chose not to say anything as she's silent as I start driving again. However she is grinning at her phone.

"Kyra what did you just do" I warn her

"I wouldn't go look at my Instagram story if I were you."

When we reach our destination I pull out my phone and find the midfielders instagram.

"You did not" I said to her. Honestly it's not big deal to me, just embarrassing that this is going to be shared all over the media

We make our way into the house just as Beth and Viv are leaving. I say hello as I run past them to find my gear and not be late. Not far behind me is Kyra walking much slower than me who also greets them.

~

We arrive at the training ground right on time and manage to make it to the kit room without Kim scolding us. I quickly put on all my gear and joined the team out on the grass. Jonas informed us all that we were going to be doing a mini scrimmage.

"Okay ladies, opening day is in a few days so we are going to be taking the opportunity today to run a small scrimmage. Try and prove yourself as much as you can. No line ups are determined yet. Kim and Katie are your captains."

After the picking I end up on Katie's team with Caitlin, Lina and Alessia at the top with Vic, Kathrine and Kyra in mid with Jen, Lotte, Steph as our back line along with Katie.

I took my place in the goal, this was the biggest opportunity to prove myself if I wanted to play this early season. Jonas blows the whistle and the teams off.

Just as soon as the whistle blows Cloe makes her way down and past the back line. I watch the ball at her feet waiting until she releases the ball. Cloe dribbles around Jen and fires with her left foot. I push myself as high as I can toward the left corner.

"Yes Evie!" I hear someone call farther down the field.

The opposing team then gets a corner, but I manage to grab the ball and move our players on the attack.

The final whistle blows and both teams flop on the grass, while this was a scrimmage we all treated this as a game, fighting for that final spot in three days time.

"Welcome Kyra" Viv chuckles as she sits to gather her breathe

"It was fun," the younger girl simply said. "I enjoy scrimmages much more than drills"

After we catch our breath the team heads to the gym.

The trainer puts up a list of what we all need to work on and I find myself doing quad raises with Katie.

As she is doing her sets I find my eyes wandering around the open gym, Vic and Lessi are giggling at something on Vic's phone, Frida rolling out her calf and Kyra and Caitlin swinging on rings. I look at the young australian, swinging happily with one of her best friends singing a song by Nicki Webster. Her hair is tied up in a messy bun showcasing her features, her smile taking up her entire face.

"You're staring"

I snap out of my gaze and turn to the Irish girl next to me

"What"

"You're staring at the Aussies" she repeats again and my face starts to feel hot.

"It's okay I don't blame you" she smirks 

"I'm not staring" I say not very convincingly

"I told myself that too" Katie says before walking away leaving me to what she said.

~

-I just want to say thank you so much for the support on this story! 

-I apologize for the limited amount of updates recently. I have an overwhelming amount of school work but I am on break in a few days so hopefully I can write more! 

-And please don't shy away from commenting. I love to read all of them!

-I tried something new with the pictures so hopefully they don't get messed when published. Would you want me to continue doing them as well?