...Ready For It?

The following days went smoothly, I excelled at the training and hopefully well enough to make that starting XI. However, I understand that Jonas may want a more experienced goalkeeper to take the lead on the huge game at the Emirates. Kyra and I have continued to become closer, we carpool to training together as well as her helping me pick out furniture for my new apartment. She would come over after training to help me move out of Beth and Viv's into the apartment that was recently repaired from water damage. Over this time I had begun to think of what Katie had said to me days earlier. Yes I enjoyed spending my time with Kyra. I wondered what she thought. Did she look at me the way I would find myself looking at her? Did she too feel herself getting lost in my eyes and fixated on my smile like I did.

The day had come for the game against Liverpool and the team sheet was on the wall of the locker room. Unsurprisingly I wasn't starting meaning I probably wouldn't be playing this game. During warmups I tried my hardest to show Jonas he messed up. I knew I was young but I had years of club experience and I knew I was a good keeper. While I was waiting for Sabrina to finish her turn in the net I was watching the field players focusing on a pair of Australians. Caitlin and Kyra had their arms on each other swinging with a smile plastered on their faces.

"Garcia, come on" Sabrina calls exiting the net. I snap myself out of the trance and get in the net easily stopping the shots kicked at me.

After warm ups I focus on getting my kit on, the number 18 and Garcia on my back. Whilst I was on the bench, this was for my mom. We didn't watch much WSL in my house growing up I knew deep down she always supported Arsenal. I then tie up my hair into a slickback with bubbles. My hair was decently long so my hair would often get in my face if I didn't have it in bubbles or braids. While looking in the mirror I see Kyra come up next to me, her arm wrapping around my shoulder.

'Hey bench buddy"

"The best positions ever" I say still not over how her arm is wrapped around my shoulders right now. We follow the rest of the subs out to the bench as the starring XI takes their spots on the field.

The first 45' are shaky, the score line is still tied at 0-0. By now we should have at least had one goal. The locker room is quiet. Jonas is concerned how the line is 0. We are a world class team with world class players.

The rest of the game continues, I watch from the bench not being able to do anything. I watch as Liverpool manages to make their way around out back line. I watch as Manu isn't able to stop the ball from reaching the back of the net. I watch as we slowly loose confidence and watch the disappointment hit the girls as the final whistle is blown.

The locker room is somehow more quiet then it was during halftime. After Kim spoke about our performance everyone went to do their own things whether that be to shower or just relax from the 90 minutes they had just played.

"You played great" I whisper to Kyra next to me on the bench in the locker room. She had managed to get into the game for the final minutes.

She rests her head on my shoulder still holding the feeling of defeat. Her wet hair soaking into my shirt. As a sub it was her job to change the game. I knew that anyone would feel like they didn't do their job if the sub couldn't help change the team. Her head stays on my shoulder. I don't move it either even when I get smirks from Katie.

"Do you want to come over"

At this point Kyra has gotten up and started to gather her items that we sprayed around the locker room.

"Isn't it a little late? And don't we have training" I reply not wanting to seem so eager. All I want to do it spend time with her.

"If you don't want to just say that"

"No no no. I do"

"Ok good I don't like being alone especially after a loss"

With that we make our way out of the Emirates waving to the fans that were still there.

Seeing as I got a ride with Beth and Viv earlier I find myself sitting in the passenger seat of Kyra's car.

The drive back to her apartment was short, however it was just long enough for me to horribly sing All To Well 10 minute version. All Kyra could do was smile and shake her head as my voice cracked with each note.

Back in her apartment we had ordered pizza and made ourselves comfortable on her couch. We agreed to watch Tangled and once again I found Kyra leaning on my shoulder for the second time today. By the end of the movie she had fallen asleep snoring softly. Not wanting to wake her I lifted her head placing a throw pillow under her head. I found a blanket and placed that on her kissing the top of her head while doing so. Before I left I wrote a note thanking her and letting her know I left.

~

Thank you so so much for the reads and votes it means so much to me. I hope everyone had a good Christmas or any other holiday you celebrate!

On another note I read The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo it was so good. The first time in a while I was actually intrigued in a book.