Sorry (for leaving you behind)

Song: Leaving my love behind // Lewis Capaldi

...

...

Part two

...

Or : Clay regret leaving Viva + Clay and Poppy bonding over Viva.

...

Clay stood by the door of the armadillo bus, looking out the window while Bruce started the bus, watching the gate slowly close as the girl he loves turned her back.

He sighed, crossing his arms. Poppy, who came in not too long ago, stood near him while also looking out the window regretfully.

"I'm.." She spoke up suddenly, causing Clay to jump.

"..sorry. I tried my best to convince her, but she wouldn't listen." She looked away from him guiltily, her hands tucked away behind her back.

Clay tried to give her a smile but couldn't find the strength to do it. "It's- ..it's okay. I didn't expect her to join us anyway. She has some problems going on.. um.. yeah."

"Regarding what happened over twenty years ago? Yeah, Viva kind of told me the story. Not much, but enough for me to understand." She nodded.

"Yeah. After what happened then, she became scared of the outside world. Well, they all are." He nudged his head towards the window.

"But in Viva's case, it was worse. For years, she put on this facade of a happy and positive leader for everyone while fighting depression behind closed doors. She just couldn't forget about her family, and I know she regrets not going out to find you or your dad at any chance she got."

"Oh.." Poppy frowned.

"For the past few months, I have noticed that her colours are slowly fading." Poppy let out a loud gasp. She slapped her mouth shut while looking around to see if anyone heard her, but the others were just doing their own thing and not paying attention.

Clay slowly nodded; his eyelids drooped. "Yeah, I know. Thankfully, it was hard to notice, so no one else but me could tell."

"I don't know what to say..." Poppy felt her heartbeat speed up. Clay reached his hands out, trying to steady her swaying form. "Easy.."

"I'm sorry for telling you this.. It was her own story to tell, but since you're her sister... I thought it's something you should know." Clay looked apologetic.

"Yeah.. I won't tell her you said anything unless she asks."

"Okay.. uh- good talk?" Clay tried to walk away, but Poppy went in front of his view, stopping him.

"Are you-" Poppy squinted her eyes. "Are you in love with Viva?" Clay cringed at the pink troll's determined smile.

"Y-yeah?" He stuttered.

"Oh, my cupcakes!" Poppy screamed, startling everyone.

"Are you okay there, Poppyseed?" John Dory asked, his eyebrow raised.

"Uh.. YES! I'm totally fine!" She gave everyone a bright smile. "Clay was telling me something about Viva! You know, I want to know more about her, so I thought I'd ask Clay!" Both of the trolls smiled innocently at them.

"Okay kids!" Bruce laughed at the two.

"Hey! I ain't a kid!" Clay rolled his eyes at his older brother. Eventually everyone went back to do their own things, leaving Clay and Poppy to continue their conversation.

"Does she know?" Poppy asked, her eyes sparkling.

"Yes." Clay's one-word answer caused Poppy to squeak into her hands.

"No way! O-M-G! You confessed?! What did she say?! Are you together now?! Have you two kissed?! Are you married?! -wait no. If you did, I would see a ring on your finger." She looked down to inspect his hands.

"Whoa! Easy there! We're not together... yet." He yanked his hands away from Poppy's reaching hands.

"Yet?! Awwww." She pouts.

"Sorry to disappoint you, Poppy, but Viva's not ready for a relationship at the moment."

"I guess so."

After fending off the pink ball of positivity, Clay went to sit down in one of the seats away from others. He let out an angry groan into his hand.

"I should have never left her!" He cried. "I told her that I'd be there for her, and yet here I am, leaving her behind. What kind of friend am I?" He rubbed his forehead angrily.

Meanwhile, back at the putt-putt village, Viva sat in her empty house, looking at the candy necklace Poppy left behind.

"My sister... when I finally got her back, I lost her again." She sobbed; her cries echoed around her living room. "Why am I this way? Why am I such a coward? It looks so easy to step out of the gate, and yet... why am I so scared? Oh Poppy... If only I could be as brave as you." She violently wiped her tears away—as much as she could.

"Clay... I miss you."

Back at the bus, Clay's still sat down; his sorrows were eating him up. Suddenly, John Dory's voice ranged loudly around the bus.

"Alright, guys," John Dory started before pointing towards Poppy, who was standing next to Branch, "-and girl."

"What now?" Bruce asked annoyingly.

"Bruce, come here."

"I'm driving the bus." Bruce pointed towards the stirring wheel.

"Well, let the shiny dude drive." John rolled his eyes sassily.

"Shiny dude? I have a name too, goggles."

"Said the person calling me goggles." John muttered under his breath.

"I heard that!"

After a bit, Bruce finally left the driver's seat, leaving Tiny Diamond to continue driving.

"This better be good." Branch groaned in annoyance while Poppy gently patted his back. "I'm sure it's important, Branchifer."

"Of course!" John exclaimed "Very important. -Thank you for that Poppyseed- I proposed that we practice for our perfect family harmony."

"Practice? There's only four Brozones here at the moment." Bruce stared at the oldest in confusion.

"Poppy can be our stand-in for Floyd." Branch offered, causing his girlfriend to scream in joy. John nodded in agreement.

"Sounds like a plan! Alright, Bitty B, we'll have to get you a diaper."

"Wait, what-"