CHAPTER ONE

The fuzzy noise the dried grass produced as she walked on it entertained her greatly. Adjusting her bag on her shoulders she walked into an open compound.

Stoping to observe the arena, Tope's lips broke into a smile. In as much as she had lived here half her life, there was always something new to witness and new experiences to observe.

The cries and laughter of children, angry mother's cursing, yelling, and scolding, most could be qurelling or trading insults. As it was a public compound, so anything could happen at anytime. The compound was large but highly unattractive, the open drain at the entrance of the compound did nothing to help matters but sheltered mosquito and accumulated very offensive smells.

None of the houses where painted making them look old and unattractive, Dirt was sighted at every corner the eyes looked. The noise generated from all the activities carried out in the compound was enough to cause anyone headache.

The heaps of trash at every side of the compound also showed the poor and inhumanly state of the compound. Also showing how poor those residing in it where.

It wasn't fit for human habitation but what could one do. The dirty and smelling state of the compound could cause one malaria or other dangerous infection and illnesses.

But like Tope and her family and all  those residing there where all used to it. Despite it's poor condition and state it was home to all living in it. As it was far better than living in the streets and exposed to other forms of danger. So it was home to Tope despite it's inhabitation.

As if waking from a trance she jerked, looked around for sometime before walking down to her apartment.

             "Good afternoon ma". She greeted a neighbor who was bathing her child by the side of the building.

          "Tope how are you?, and how was school today"?. She asked looking at her.

          "It was fine thank you ma". Tope replied.

          "This your uniform is very fine ooh, how much is your school fees"?.

           "I really don't know, but it's about a hundred thousand". Tope replied.

           "Hundred thousand!!!!"?. The woman exclaimed. "What school is that".

       "Lake Ville high". She replied proudly.

         "Olowa ooh. How do you pay your fees"?.

           "Ma I won a scholarship so I don't have to pay for anything". Tope replied proudly.

     "Ahhh Tope when was that"?.

       "Two days ago". She replied, her voice tone showing she was tiered of the interrogations. But trust Yoruba women they won't stop till they get the full gist.

        "How lucky of you. Doohoo, welcome, so now is it government that's paying for your schooling"?. The questions continued.

           "No, it's a charity organization". She replied.

        "Okay doohoo, oya go inside and rest, welcome". Tope walked as fast as lighting speed before she was stoped again for more questions and interrogations.

            "Good afternoon daddy". She greeted her father as she walked into the one room apartment which was poorly furnished. It consisted of two plastic chairs, an old wooden table and a television that no longer works, a dusty celling fan and light bulb.