Chapter 1 - No Talent At All

[Word count - 814]

Present time...

Location - (L/N) Residence, (Y/N)'s Room

Your POV

Hi there, my name is (Y/N) (L/N). As much as I don't want to admit it, I don't have any talent for... anything. All I do is give people headaches, and they always say that I don't have anything to contribute.

It does hurt, but it was true at the same time. However, there were two people who truly understood me, though. Two girls named Shirasagi Chisato and Seta Kaoru. They've been my childhood friends, and now, all three of us are first year university students.

However, both of them have gotten super busy ever since we entered high school, and they don't have time for me anymore. Chisato was already busy as an actress, and now, she is the bassist in an idol band called Pastel*Palettes.

As for Kaoru, she told me how she was also doing her own form of acting, as she was inspired by Chisato to do so. On top of that, she is now the guitarist for a band called Hello, Happy World!

All I can do is support them from the sidelines, and hope that one day, all three of us can hang out with each other again. Chisato might be a challenge, but at least Kaoru is willing to spend time with me, and I guess that was better than nothing.

I remember one day she sent me a text message while doing my university homework.

Kaoru's text: Greetings, my dear friend. Could I have a moment of your time?

Your text: Sure. What's up?

Kaoru's text: Do you think you can meet me at the cafe by Yotsuba Women's University?

Your text: Yeah, I think I can do that.

Kaoru's text: Excellent. In that case, I will see you soon, my dear friend.

I wonder why Kaoru wants to meet me in the first place. Given that we're in university, you would think she would be busier, but I guess not. Without a second to waste, I gather my things and headed over to the cafe to see my friend.
_____________________________________________

A few minutes later...

Location - Campus Street, Cafe

I ran to the cafe as fast as I could, and by the time I got there, I was completely out of breath. I should start running more often. Once I got to the cafe, I walked in, and I spotted Kaoru at a table that was close to the window. She was sipping her tea, and once we made eye contact, she motioned her finger, telling me to come join her. 

I walked over towards her and sat across from her

"Hey, Kaoru. I didn't keep you waiting, did I?" I asked.

"Not at all. Your timing is as wonderful as always." Kaoru said. "It is as wonderful as you are. Ah, how fleeting."

"Thanks, I guess."

The waitress walked over towards us and asked if I wanted anything. I ordered my usual Mocha Latte before she walked away. While waiting, Kaoru asked me something. 

"So, tell me, is your university treating you well?" She asked. 

"Well, it's okay, I guess. But sometimes, I feel like I don't belong there." I answered before letting out a sad sigh. 

"What do you mean? What's wrong with the university you go to?"

"Well, a lot of my classmates and upperclassmen are talented and amazing at everything they do, and then... there's me." 

I sighed before saying more. 

"Sometimes I wonder if I really belong there..." 

Kaoru placed her hand on top of mine and gave an assuring smile before saying this. 

"Fret not, my dear friend. You do have a hidden talent deep inside of you, you just need to discover it, that's all."

"And how, pray tell, am I supposed to do that?"

"Well, maybe you should try doing different activities and try something that suits you the most." She suggested.

I guess Kaoru did have a point there... I can't sit around and expect my talent to appear before me. I got to get out there and find what I'm really good at. 

"Thanks Kaoru, you really are a good friend." I said as she gave me a gentle smile. 

"Yes, of course." She replied. "There's nothing I wouldn't do for my friend."

What Kaoru did next take me by surprise. She took my hand and kissed it. I blushed as she did this, and now... my heart is racing like crazy. I'm starting to see why Chisato got annoyed with her for a while. 

To be continued

A/N: The first updated book for 2024!
Thank you so much for reading this chapter. I hope you guys liked it and I'll see you in the next one. :)

Next book to update: Harmonizing with the Keyboardist

Shout-out to Cameodc for adding Wings of Fate to their reading list.