Chapter Five

Pool Talk

I stood and looked at myself in the mirror, running my hands through my hair a couple of times. I put on a light blue bikini that had white followers all over it, followed by one of James's t-shirts to cover up.

I took a deep breath. "You're good," I whispered to myself.

I took out my phone, hoping to see the one person I wanted to talk to. James has been bad at replying to me since I told him the news about me spending the summer here. He had gotten so mad at me.

I put my sunglasses on and headed downstairs, going outside. It felt like it got hotter out. Sarah, Rafe, and Caleb were already outside sitting at a table with an umbrella over it.

"Look who finally came out," Caleb commented. I hit the back of his head lightly before sitting beside Sarah, the boys were across from us. 

I looked at the table, "A lot more than cheese and crackers." I turned my head to Sarah and we both smiled. There was a pitcher full of lemonade and another one with water. Along with diffrent types of meat, bread, and fruit on different platters. 

Rafe looked at me before saying, "Long time no see. You've grown a lot."

"Yeah well, I'm not 13 anymore."

He let out a laugh..

"You buzzed your hair," I noticed.

He rubbed his, "Yeah, yeah I did. So uh, you happy to be back?"

I nodded my head, "you can say that." I didn't want to tell him that I would much rather be at home instead of here. I took a strawberry off one of the platters and ate it.

"So, there's this party tonight at our friend Topper's house that Rafe and I are going to and we want you guys to come," Sarah said as she poured some lemonad into her glass.

"God, I haven't seen Top in forever," Caleb smiled.

"Is that a yes?" Sarah asked.

"Only if you're going," he said in a low tone as he smirked. Sarah smiled.

"It's almost like she just said she was going," I chuckled.

Caleb kicked me under the table. "Ow! Dude!" Sarah laughed as she shook her head.

"What about you Sam?" Rafe asked me. "You gonna join the fun?"

"Only if you're going," I mocked my brother as I put my hand on my chest. We laughed as Caleb had an embarrassed look on his face.

We talked and laughed for an hour about what had happened since we left and what our life was like in Chicago now.

Sarah took a slice of salami before getting up and saying, "I don't know about you guys but I'm going for a swim."

"Oh, I'm right behind you," I said as I took my shirt off and jumped in the pool with Sarah, the boys followed us right after.

***

9:30 PM

Caleb and I had dinner with the whole Cameron family. We got to meet Rose and Wheezie before going to the party. I wore denim shorts with a short white top that had dark blue flowers all around it that wrapped around my neck, pairing it with my black and white Converse.

I walked out of my room and went down the halfway, going down the stairs. 

"That's what you're wearing?"

I turned around, Rafe was at the top of the stairs. I looked down at my outfit and back up at him, "yeah?"

"You're going to be cold."

"Okay, I'll go back up and get a sweater."

"It's fine, here," he tossed down the sweater that he had in his hand.

"Aren't you going to be cold?"

"I'll be good," he said as came down the stairs beside me. I put on the sweater, it was a nice black one with white drawstrings.

"Hey um, are there going to be any Pogues at the party?"

He laughed, "Are you kidding, hell no. This is a Kook party." We walked to the front door. "Speaking of, this is your first Kook party, huh?"

I nodded my head as I opened the front door.

He smiled, "you're finally going to see what it's like to actually party."

I laughed. We stood at the front door.

"I have a question."

"Shoot."

"If you hate Pogues so much why did you hang out with Caleb all the time back then? We were Pogues, not even close to rich."

We walked out to Rafe's car and stood beside the passenger door. He leaned on it slightly and crossed his arms.

"Well, your dad used to work on our boat, as you know. Dad was always telling me how great your dad was and told me he has a son my age and that I should hang out with him, so I did."

He opened the front door for me.

"Thanks," I said before he shut it.

Why did I not know my dad used to work on the Cameron's boat?

Rafe got in the car and put the keys in. He rested his head on the headrest, looking over at me. "Why did you ask me if any Pogues were going to be there tonight?"

"Uh, no reason, just wondering," I gave him a small smile before looking away and out the window.

I started playing with my bracelet, where were Sarah and Caleb?

"Are you trying to avoid someone?"

I looked over at him with a confused look, "you ask a lot of questions."

He shrugged his shoulders, "seems like you are." He ignored what I said.

"Well, I'm not."

"I don't think I believe you," he smirked.

I laughed, "I don't care if you believe me or not."

Before Rafe could say another word, Sarah and Caleb finally got in the back of the car.

"Where have you guys been?" I asked.

"Sarah took forever to get ready and didn't want me to leave without her."

"Sorry," she smiled.