Chapter Twelve

Stolen Phone

JJ Maybank

"You saw her?" John B questioned as he spreaded jam on some bread.

"Yup," I took a hit from my joint as I lay on the couch.

"At the country club?"

"Yes dude, you want me to repeat the story to you again?"

"No, but I'm sure you'd love to," he mumbled.

"What was that?"

"Nothing." He took a bite of his sandwich before putting it back on the counter. "Why would she be eating lunch there?" 

I sat up and walked over to the kitchen. "I told you," I took the sandwich off the counter.

"Dude! I was going to eat that."

I ignored him. "She's gone full Kook," I sat on the empty counter across from where John B was standing and took a bite.

He shook his head and grabbed another slice of bread out of the bag, taking the knife and spreading jam on it, "There's no way she's a Kook now."

"She was sitting at a table with Rafe and Sarah," I took a hit of my joint, "Even Topper and Kelce too."

"She was sitting with the Camerons? Why with them?"

"I don't know man." I shook my head and took another bite. "You should have seen what she was wearing today. One of those tops with the fancy collar things and a really short white skirt."

John B laughed.

"What?" I took another hit from my joint.

"So you were checking her out and watching her your whole shift?" He put his hand over his mouth to stop the food from coming out. 

"Uh no, I wasn't checking her out," I got off the counter. "Why would I be checking her out?" I walked back over to the couch and took the last bite of my sandwich.

He laughed again, "Are- are you playing with me or?"

I forwarded my eyebrows and gave him a confused look.

"Dude, you still have feelings for her."

My face dropped, "What are you talking about?"

"You've had feelings for her even before she left, way before she left."

I stood up. "I don't have feelings for her, I never have." I took another hit from my joint before giving it to John B.

"Whatever you say, man." He hit the back of my shoulder and went out on the porch. 

I opened the cabinet, took a glass that looked somewhat clean and filled it up with cold water, taking a long drink from it. I sighed, putting the glass on the counter.

"Fuck," I muttered under my breath. I banged both my hands on the counter and walked outside. I scratch the back of my head, "There's something else I, I did."

"What did you do now," John B groaned from the couch as he threw a baseball up in the air and caught it.

I stood there for a moment before reaching into my pocket and taking a phone out.

He stood up, "You took her fucking phone?"

"I thought it was her wallet," I shrugged my shoulders.

"What's wrong with you? Why would you steal from her?" He asked as he took her phone from my hand.

"Some dude named James has been texting her. Look at that, 13 missed texts."

John B looked at the phone and shook his head. "You're giving it back to her." He tossed the phone back to me. He walked away from me and back inside.

I threw my hands in the air, "I don't even know where to find her!" I yelled at the shut door.