Chapter II: My Cherubim

"Treasure every small aspect of life, for each one is a unique blessing."

Where has my Cherub been?

In the frigid and desolate darkness of space, I lay lifeless, miserable, and utterly exhausted on the cold ground. Suddenly, a colossal presence lifted me up, reminiscent of Hercules rescuing me from the depths of an abyss. As he carried me on his formidable shoulders, the resounding CLIP CLOP of his heavy feet echoed, causing the land to tremble beneath his powerful weight, accompanied by the drumming thud of thunder. Before my eyes, a godly figure appeared, draped in ancient military garments—a simple, knee-length tunic and sandals—a vision that transported me to an otherworldly realm.

Long before I grasped the reality that a deity-like figure had taken me under their protection, destined to guide me toward a prophecy I had no intention of knowing, I was still a child harboring dreams of success and aspirations to uplift my family from poverty.

The sudden upheaval landed me in an unfamiliar and desolate place, aptly described as nowhere—a stark contrast to my trouble-free life since the beginning of my school days. As a child, I possessed a heightened sensitivity in selecting my companions, meticulously observing their behaviors and interactions with my classmates.

"THUG! Agay! Sakitas ulo nako ah! Gi-unsa man taka?" (THUD! Ouch! My head hurts! What did I do to you, huh?) I complained after Rico prodded my head with his tough hand.

"Oooy! Di musukol. Bayot ning bataa. Saman bagay ta? Hahah (Oooy! Are you gay? Come on, let's fight! Hahah) He teased, playing around with me while Mr. Philip's class was still in session.

"Nawa sir! Hilabtanon kaayo, wala raman unta ko mangunsa niya." (Look sir, he butted in though I did not do something wrong with him) I explained, tears streaming down my face from the pain in my head. I hadn't anticipated that someone would be so eager to make a joke at my expense. It wasn't fair, and I didn't have the courage to fight back. I disregarded how he labeled me, as I was brought up with the values instilled by my parents not to cause trouble in school, especially since they were investing so much in my education at a private institution.

"Unsa man ka, gara-gara ka? Ugbok nang ulo nimo run!" (Hey, what are you doing? Why are you so confident? You want me to pitch your head on the floor?) Crystal, a robust and fearless girl known for her strength and disruptive nature, intervened, saving me from that potentially catastrophic moment as a 3rd grader. Despite her reputation as one of the wildest students in the school, she proved to be the most generous and helpful friend I had ever encountered.

We became friends unexpectedly — the timid boy and the brave girl. For no apparent reason, she advised me to stay relaxed and not be afraid of any bullies because, as she declared with an evil laugh, she was the worst of them. She offered warm support, giving my thin shoulder an abrupt, strong spank. I felt a mixture of happiness and confusion, unsure if choosing to be friends with her was the right decision. Nevertheless, I didn't have much of a choice, and she didn't have any other friends besides me. Well, I'm a kinda boy who bends like a bamboo, whichever the wind blows, I go. For the sake of our budding friendship, I appreciated her kindness and generosity. Only a fool would reject someone who did nothing wrong and consistently made efforts to give their best while protecting you at all costs.

"Tara oh. Kaon ka'g spaghetti and fried chicken? Imoha na ni akong bawn kay palit ko lain. Napul-an nako. Haha." (Here is it. You wanna eat spaghetti and fried chicken? You can take my lunch so I'll buy another food. I'm already fed-up. Haha ) Crystal generously offered me her lunch, and I didn't decline, considering my lunch consisted only of buwad (dried fish) and a boiled egg. At that moment, I told myself it's okay not to bring lunch next time, appreciating her gesture with wise eyes.