𝙥𝙧𝙤𝙡𝙤𝙜𝙪𝙚

❝gifted burnout❞

age 14 - ramirez residence

Jade wasn't the best when it came to human interaction, her palms would be sweating and she'd be a stuttering mess that would leave the person she had been trying to talk to, to leave with a nervous glint in their eyes, a little creeped out by the rambling and stuttering brunette.

So, when she had seen a firey red head with pale skin and pointed ears run out of a foldable door in the middle of her room, she was shocked into silence, any logical reaction flying from her head as both girls locked their eyes, both not knowing how to approach this situation.

Early that night, Jade had spread her homework she had dreaded to do around her, her legs crossed and textbook in her lap with notes and other books laid out in front of her. her pen was in her hand as it hovered over her textbook, ready to mark the pages so they'd be filled with notes.

After a beat of staring at one another, the red haired teen backed up into a shelf full of trophies from all those past spelling B's she attended. The sudden shift of weight against it caused them to nearly fall if it wasn't for the frightened girl, who moved away from them. The door was now laying in the middle of the room, shifting into a small suitcase with a single eye in the middle. Jade put her book on her notes, the pen stuck in the middle of hard cover.

"Y-y-your ears..." Jade stuttered out, breaking the silence, her palms already feeling clammy from the anxiety she felt starting to slowly consume her. The read head whipped her head towards the sound of her voice, startled as she covers her pointed ears.

"W-what of them?" She asked, feeling her face heat up in embarrassment. Jade jumped at the sound of her voice, wasn't expecting her to sound so defensive. Maybe it was a cultural thing, that her ears were shaped like how elves are.

"They're pointed... I-i've never s-s-seen someone with point-pointed e-ea-ears before." She stuttered deeply, her voice cracking to keep up with her words. This was more than she was used to, talking to someone who had basically broken into her house with a magic door.

The red head slowly took her hands from her ears and tilted her head, "yeah? Well I've never seen someone with round ears before." She grinned, already slowly feeling a bit more comfortable with Jade, who touched her ears, a little embarrassed to have her own pointed out. It was another thing she can be self-conscious about. "I'm Eda." The red head introduced, walking forward to Jade who still sat on her bed.

"J-jade..." She muttered quietly, looking away from Eda, whose grin widened.

"Well, Jade, it's nice to meet you!" She exclaimed with a laugh, the sound making its way to Jade's ears. The young brunette turned her eyes to Eda, who was now looking around the room. "You sure have a lot of trophies and prizes. You must be really smart, it kind of reminds me of my sister." She admitted.

"O-oh... Yeah..." She muttered, not thrilled that someone had mentioned all of these unless trophies and prizes from when she was younger. Eds noticed the look on her face, and thought better to not ask.

"Hey, you got anything fun to do? I'm bored," her stomach then growled, "and hungry, apparently." Eda grumbled.

"W-we can p-pla-play shoots and l-ladders." Jade suggested, slowly getting up from her bed, her hands gripping the hem of her shirt. Eda beamed, going into the middle of the room and grabbing the suitcase, and held it at her side.

"I don't know what that is, but sounds fun!" Eda said, her eyes trying to find Jade's, but the brunette refused to look her in the eyes.

"O-okay. I-i'll g-get us som-some snacks. Just, stay r-right h-here. Please..." Jade said, before quickly exiting the room, her long curly locks bouncing as she left Eda.

The red head went to a night stand and set the suitcase down and sighed, looking outside at the night sky with a frown. How long would it be when she goes back home? Her parents and sister would be worried sick if she wasn't home, but how could she go back when she was cursed to turn into that owl beast, the only thing keeping it at bay at the moment was this stupid broach. She growled in frustration, a tear slipping down her pale cheek.

Who would curse a child and ruin her life like this? If she ever gets her hand in the culprit, she'd never show them mercy of any kind.

note: the prologue to the remake of "gifted burnout" is out. Yay! This sounds a bit better, don't you think? And yes, Jade does have a stutter, mostly when she's interacting with someone, but it also appears when she's just talking like normal. It's not that apparent when she's an adult, but it'll show up sometimes.

I can't wait til Jade meets Raine.

vote and comment.

word count: 884