𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙤𝙣𝙚

chapter warning: bullying, and mild cursing.

❝messy day❞

age: 14 - a month after meeting Eda

Jade grunted when hands had pushed her backward, her body connecting with the ground as she landed on her butt. Her eyes wandered up to the person, her brown eyes interlocking with green ones.

It was Patty, the school's bully, and of course, head cheerleader, as cliche as that sounded. She had always targeted Jade, who was the quiet girl in school and had always been at the top of the class. The black haired girl was jealous, Jade could tell.

"Well, well, if it isn't my favorite smarty pants. Jade Ramirez," Patty leaned down so the two could lock eyes. Jade could feel her anxiety bubble up, watching her carefully. "Not so smart now, I assume. With how you've plummeted to the least smart person in class, making me the top in class. Again." She laughed. Jade was shaking as Patty stood back up, a smirk on her lips as she crossed her arms. Looking at the disheveled brunette.

"P-please... Just-just g-g-go awa-away..." Jade pleaded quietly. Patty chuckled, mocking the brunette's stutter.

"P-p-please." She laughed, which made Jade flinch. She really wished that she could stand up for herself, but she couldn't. It was hard, and her anxiety wouldn't allow it. Jade shakily went to pick up her books, thinking Patty would go, but was stopped when said black haired girls boot covered foot stepped onto the hard cover. She laughed as she pushed the material against the floor, the mud on her shoes smearing onto the front before she walked off down the hall.

Jade gently picked it up, trying her best to wipe the dirt from it and held it to her chest, her head bowed. She could feel her eyes water, but she didn't allow herself to cry. This wasn't worth crying about, and she wouldn't let Patty have the satisfaction.

Jade quickly walked herself down the hall, her steps squeaking as she walked towards the exit doors of the school. Food dripped down her body and milk stained her hair and clothes as she finally made it outside.

At lunch, Patty had the bright idea to go over to Jade and "accidentally" spill her lunch into the anti-social teen, which in turned made the brunette shove her mashed potatoes into the black haired girls face in anger. She wasn't one to let her anger get the best of her, but she was really irritated and moody ever since the hallway incident and had it with her. In hindsight, it wasn't her best move, but it happened all to fast that it left everyone speechless.

So, now here she was, walking home with food and milk drenching her, the school had let out early today, after lunch, so she didn't have to worry about Patty for the next few days. It was the weekend after all, so, two days free of Patty's constant bull crap.

Her bag hung loosely against her shoulders, her hand going to her forehead and wiping at the greasy food that smeared. Luckily, the school wasn't that far from her house, so as she finally made her way to her house and up the driveway, she went into the house with a sigh.

"Jade, dear, is that you? You're home early," Jade's mother said from the kitchen.

"Uh, yeah, m-mom. I-its hal-half-day, remember," Jade spoke, her stutter not as bad when talking to her mom. She heard the older woman chuckle.

"Oh, right. I forgot, well, dinner is almost done. Go clean up and then go and get your father from the shed." She said.

"Okay." Jade said, running up the stairs and to her room quickly. Opening the door, she saw a body sitting against the headboard with a book opened up in her lap as she read the words on the page. Jade shut the door and took her bag off and went to the dresser by her closet.

"This curly fellow sure is an asshole." Eda spoke as, glancing up to see the state Jade was in. Her eyes widened as she stood up quickly, the book falling onto the bed. "Jade? What happened?" Eda asked.

"N-nothing. Just some-someone thought it w-was funny t-t-to spill their tray o-o-of f-f-food on me." Jade explained, Eda was already used to the stutter the brunette had. It's been around a month since the two had met, and they had grown close in that time. Eda would go to say they were best friends, but she knew Jade wouldn't really be used to a title like that.

"Really? Would you like me to show them a lesson?" Eda asked, drawing a spell circle, smirking at her friend. Jade rolled her eyes, grabbing the outfit she'd change into.

"No." Jade went into the restroom connected to her room and quickly changed, washing her hair out in the sink with cold water, trying to get everything out, along with scrubbing her face gently.

Eda leaned against the wall by the door, "really, I could make it look like an accident." She said, crossing her arms. Jade opened the door and leaned against the door frame, a brow raised as she dried her hair with a towel.

"I told you, n-n-no v-violence, e-e-edalyn." Jade smiled.

"I was only kidding. But seriously, what is their problem?" Eda asked as Jade put the towel on her sink, a yawn leaving her lips.

"Jealousy, m-m-most likely" Jade said with a shrug. Eda noticed that the outfit she had put on was beige overall with paint splattered everywhere and a solid grey undershirt with a black jumper tied to her waist.

"Of course," she chuckled.  "But, can you blame them, you're the second smartest person I know. The first one being my sister," she laughed. Jade smiled as Eda took the key to the magic door from her hair, clicking it so it would unfold. She turned to her friend who watched curiously.

"A-a-are you l-l-leaving n-now?" Jade asked, sadness lacing her voice. She hated when Eda would leave, she always felt lonely when she didn't have anyone to talk to.

"Well, I was wondering if you want to meet one of my friends. They're really nice, and I've told them all about you. They're really excited to meet you." Eda held a hand out to her, Jade looked hesitant. "But it's your choice Jade, we can always wait," she said.

Jade chewed on her lip before taking Eda's pale hand against her own darker one. Eda smiled, and slowly took her to the other side of the door, leaving the human realm in their wake.

note: chapter one done, yay! We get to meet Raine next chapter, and I have, three or four chapters left before we get to the beginning of the owl house.

vote and comment.

word count: 1180