McQueen's Race to Lose

12/22/23

When Mater pulled into Ramone's, your mouth dropped open quick as a flash when you saw the supposedly "done" road. It was absolutely awful! It was nowhere near flat and smooth, the complete opposite of how a paved road should be, and even the shoulders were uneven and sloppy! It was very hard to tell where the shoulders even actually rested, and even if someone managed to figure it out and tried to maneuver off the road, it would still be a rough ride what with all the blobs and splats of now dried tar scattered absolutely everywhere.

"Oh...my...god," was all you could manage to breathe out at the grotesque sight.

After unhooking your car, Mater excitedly ran back to his truck and jumped in. He started the engine and turned toward the road, yelling so loud that you had to cover your ears as you were sitting right next to him, "Whoohoo! I'm the first one on the new road!" As he quickly pulled out onto the crappy road, the car started bouncing over the uneven asphalt so rapidly that Mater's car literally vibrated. Your teeth clattered with every bump, no matter how minuscule. Tools and parts were recklessly being flung out of the back of Mater's truck all over the place. To keep steady in your seat, your nails dug into the cushion of the seat as well as the dashboard in front of you. "It rides purty smooth!" Mater exclaimed, though you had no clue what he said as his voice sounded like nothing much unintelligible gibberish since his vocal cords were vibrating in tandem with every bump hit on the road. Which, as said many times before, was a lot.

"Ma-a-a-a-a-a-a-ter-r-r-r!" Your bumpy voice cried out in alarm at how quickly he was driving on a road paved so poorly it should've been considered a threat to all of society.

When Mater finally stopped, and a little too abruptly for your taste, at the end of the stretch that marked where McQueen was to finish paving with orange construction signs, you never fought harder to get out of a vehicle in your life. The whole world was spinning, jittering up and down with no remorse as your legs wobbled to keep you standing upright against your vision that was very much fighting against you.

Doc, who was standing before McQueen with the rest of the town only feet away, rushed over to you in attempt to spare your dizzy state. He gently walked you over to where everyone else was standing. As your vision slowly started to balance out, you heard Sally exclaim sadly, "It looks awful!"

"Well, now it matches the rest of the town!" You heard McQueen say confidently from where he sat on the hood of his car, as if trying to receive praise for his work.

Sally could only get out what sounded like a heartbroken scoff. Even you were so shocked as his reply that you shook your head to shake away the remaining dizziness before staring at the racer in disbelief. Red began to sob quietly, before he began to wail loudly as he ran off. Tears covering his vision so much, you watched as he accidentally ran right into a stack of tires near the fence surrounding Mater's garage with his shoulder. He stumbled but kept running and sobbing nonetheless, the tires falling over behind him.

"Who do you think you are!?" Sally spat angrily, everyone returning their attention to McQueen. Furious glares we're now plastered on everyone's faces, even yours and Doc's.

"Look! Doc said when I finish, I could go! That was the deal!" McQueen retorted with just as much anger.

"The deal was you fix the road, not make it worse." Doc clarified as he took a few stomps forward. "Now, scrape it up!" He flung his arm out exaggeratedly, causing McQueen to flinch back as Doc's hand had almost come into contact with the racer's face in the process. "Start over again!"

"Look grandpa, I'm not a bulldozer operator. I'm a racer!" McQueen said the last part smugly, a wide smug smirk on his face to match as he dramatically gestured to himself.