Love is in the Nighttime Air

1/1/24

"Oh, boy, you gotta admit that was fun!" Mater was still reminiscing about the events of earlier as his tow truck finally coasted into town. He was far more fond of it than you and McQueen were, even collectively.

"Oh, yeah, yeah." McQueen responded absent-mindedly, very much tired and wanting to forget what had happened entirely. You didn't blame him. You kind of wanted to forget too. It hadn't exactly been a walk in the park, er, field. At least the remainder of the ride had been calm and peaceful one Mater had sped far enough away from the grasslands to slow down to a mere cruise. The slow speed mixed with the relaxing sway of his truck as it coasted down the road would've been enough to lull you to sleep had you not had just a terrifying experience prior. The perfect night air and beautiful moonlight only added to the peace of it all.

"Well, we better get you back to Sheriff." Mater said as he came to a perfect stop. "Hop off, guys! I gotta park my truck!" Once you and McQueen did so, he effortlessly flowed into a one-hundred-and-eighty degree spin right then and there and began cruising backwards. He was preparing to back his truck into his junkyard, and until he got close enough to do so, he continued to let his truck mosey on down the road to match your guys' walking pace.

"Ooh! I have an idea!" He smiled, leaning out the window to get closer to the two of you as you walked. He wasn't paying an ounce of attention to the road anymore, which you thought nothing of unlike the racer beside you. "Tomorrow night we can go look for the Ghost Light!"

"Mater, will you stop that?!" McQueen asked in confusion.

"Stop what?"

"That driving backwards stuff. It's creeping me out. You're gonna wreck on something."

Mater's truck came to an abrupt halt, the faintest of squeals heard from his brakes as it did so. You also stopped dead in your tracks at McQueen's comment. "Wreck?" You and Mater questioned in appall, both of your noses scrunching up a little. The two of you shared a look of offense at the racer's ignorance.

"Shoot, I'm the world's best backwards driver!" Mater boasted with a bright smile, jabbing his thumb to his chest. "You just watch this right here!" Suddenly, the tires of the tow truck were burning rubber before it sped off backwards, quick as a flash, without a second's thought. The dormant reverse light on the roof of the truck had finally lit up, flashing a bright orange.

"What are you doing?!" McQueen cried out in alarm. "Look out! Mater?!" You couldn't help but give a small laugh at the racer's concern-stricken expression, the way his pupils had shrunken, fists clenched up, and mouth fell open.

All the two of you could do was watch as Mater began to speed all throughout town, weaving between the unique and creative Cozy Cones of Sally's motel, making donuts whenever and wherever he pleased, and all the more. He even drove into the small batch of trees behind the Cozy Cone and somehow came out so high in the air he not only broke over the horizon line of the trees entirely, but his silhouette passed directly in front of the moon itself! All the while still driving backwards. You watched in awe with childish amazement, but it took a little longer for McQueen to go from concern and a more judgmental outlook to the same awe and amazement you bore, but tenfold.

"He's nuts!" McQueen let out an astonished, and also somewhat relieved, laugh. You couldn't help the warm smile that rose to your face at this new side of McQueen. You had never seen him so happy, this genuinely happy, not even on television, during races, or in interviews. The same could be said for his smile, and what a nice smile he had too. It was proof that McQueen wasn't always so serious and miserable and, well, masked. It felt nice to bear witness to the racer letting go for once and feeling genuine emotion, not just his cocky facade he put on for the cameras and the crowds. It truly made you wonder more about him, more of what he was truly like. It made you want to slowly chip away at his mask to see the McQueen hiding inside.