PROLOGUE

" Enter Shifter Number Eight, [Name] Hermann. "

The mentioned shifter, stepped forward and as if it was the first time they're meeting all of this people present in the room, they introduced themselves. Their name, their age, their titan — and then the word of agreement that fell from their lips felt automatic, as if they were bound to agree and an opposition was just not the right and would be an offensive answer.

" Are you a hundred percent certain that you are willing to partake this project founded by Dr. Allan Wolf, named: PROJECT: EXTERMINATION. "

" I am. " 

" Will you, without any doubt, fulfill your duty as a shifter and annihilate the people who are the same as you — living humans, under any circumstances? "

" I will. "

It was the only way.

Standing before the front door that they've just opened, they were met with a gun cocked against their head and a man with glasses glinting under the bright light of the living room, wearing a lab coat — giving his gaze behind those glass an eerie glow. Their breathing got caught in their throat as their eyes shifted to his face. They didn't know this man. Never in their confusing life had they've seen this man and yet they felt they had before.

" It's simple, [Name], really. I kill you right here with this gun, or you come with me. " Upon the sense of smell of something copper, their eyes shifted behind this man and they choked on their spit, gazing at the lifeless body of their adoptive mother. A hole in the middle of her forehead was obvious enough that she was shot by the same gun this person was threatening to use against them.

If he was capable of killing people, then even when they don't agree with him, who knows what lies on the place they'll be brought in. They could just duck and kick this man right here to avoid death. Something about adrenaline, the anger of somebody killing the one that they treasure brought that to that shaking feeling but at the same time, they didn't know how to do that. It was like some time in their life they've done that before but they didn't. Perhaps, that thought came because they've watched their adoptive parents fought off bandits around the area. But that was really it, maybe just a muscle memory.

And yet they couldn't bring themself to do it, the moment that the head of the gun pressed against their skin further that if the man continued to do so it would be strong enough to drill a hole through their head.

[Name] didn't want to die, so they decided to bring themself on the last option and so with a calloused hand behind their back, the he man had self-satisfied smirk creeping on his lips.

[Name] stared at the woman questioning with a lifeless gaze, agreeing with the last one before stepping back. The person akin to them, by the name of Serim Bauer (a fellow shifter that they managed to befriend through the year of working with them) stepped forward and was asked by the same questions. It would continue like that until it reached the last one.

In line with the young adult shifter, the other fourteen future warriors stood with faces full of ruling determination and silent fear.

" We all say that advanced technology has been saving our lives for centuries. But do you see it? And feel it? As technology rises...crimes, unsolved pollution, cruelties, and the population follows. Thousand of years ago, there were only eight billion of people in the entire world. Scientists believed that once the year 3XXX reaches, human will be extinct. Everything will come back to zero. Can you believe that? It's both a miracle and a curse for humanity to rise even in this century. Eight billion during the year 20XX, and now it's almost twice as that. If that chance of  zero happens, it's like a reset of the earth. No humans, lands and bodies of water, animals, the ruins of the future would be the only ones left. If we start back at zero, All of the things — the achievements humanity has work hard for would go to waste. How many years are we going to wait until humanity will be back once more? "

The only source of light inside the large room was coming from the TV that followed every words Dr. Wolf said. The fifteen shifts in training sat in floating seats as their wary faces gazed at the large screen.

" Population! " He exclaimed with a grin on his face.
" Population is the main reason for this extinction, and to solve that, with the help of you all,  all of our  hard work will not be coming to waste. " The screen slided and an image of a cyborg-like structure was revealed. Different in sizes and body shapes, but one thing for sure, with the comparison of several person on the farthest side of the screen, they were built large as a skyscraper.

" It's quite simple. "  He smiled gleefully at the fifteen 'volunteers'.

" We'll annihilate a section of the human population. "

The questions and answers went like a cycle until the last one finally was done and now, the next and last step of this whole procedure was about to commence.

This was minutes before hell as they went out from their previous position and went for the aircraft. The scientists that worked alongside with Dr. Wolf moved as if they too, were trained. Following the command of the man as if he were king and they were all just slaves kissing his feet while he sat on his throne. [Name]'s body was wrapped with the harness of the parachute they were going to use for the fall. The rustling of clothes and the hum of a few shifters and from the aircraft itself resonated around the room.

" You're good to go, Hermann. " The moment that they stared at the scientist assigned to them, they weren't able to see them straight in the eyes with the way that they avoided their gaze. They frowned and tried to reach for the young scientist's right cheek but they stepped back and was called by Dr. Wolf himself for something, [Name] couldn't grasp as the announcement for their departure rung their ears.

They stepped inside their pod and attached the cables to be attached on their skin. " Gabe Collins, Full Robot Shifter, now ready. " And they patiently waited until it was their turn to announce their preparation.

" [Name] Hermann. Reptile Titan Shifter, now ready. "

" PROJECT: EXTERMINATION will now commence...In three..."

"  Dr. Wolf...would mass killing really solve this problem? " He took his eyes away from his pad and craned his head to gaze at them with a smile — stepping forward towards until they were only a two feets apart. He grasped their chin and tilted it to his height. " You don't have to worry your pretty little head about anything, about that. I know for a fact, we know that it will be the one to solve it. "

" Two..."

"  I had two choices to pick from. Up until now, I don't regret choosing this. It was as if I was made for it. Just the thought of it...as if I was — "

" Like you were made for killing billions of people...? [Name]— you...are you insane?! "

" One..."

" [Name]... there's..."

" In this cruel world, we'll live this through... together! "

"  Even if it means to abandon what we've work hard for, if it means to living a peaceful life with you... Then I'll abandon everything and love you for the rest of our remaining lives! "

"  Let's finish this and then...when we get back to our hometown...this time I'll be the one to hide...and I'll let you seek for me! "

"  Everyone...where are you? "

" Heike... let's go home. "

" PROJECT: EXTERMINATION is now successfully commencing. Well done for all your hard work. "