.001 // tom

~ * ~ * ~

...

TOM BLYTH wasn't concerned over the drastic emotional 180-degree turn his leading co-star seemed to show. Rachel was known for her amazing, on-cue deliverance of her character, but it came with a price: her empathetic side. On set, it was an on-going joke between the cast whenever Rachel would cry over fictitious scenes, but it was always them comforting her as well.

"You know it's not real, Rach," he gave a quirk of the side of his lip, although showing obvious care through the soft tone of his voice.

"I know," she responded with a stiff nod and a short laugh. Fingers removed the tears that fell down her face as a deep breath was taken in. "I'm just missing my family is all."

He wrapped an arm around her shoulders and squeezed her to his size in a brotherly embrace. Being a single child, he still felt like she was his little sister and didn't like seeing her—or anyone, really—this way. Rachel cleared her throat as she spoke up again. "Claire's coming to visit tomorrow, though. Maybe that's something worth not crying over."

Claire?

She must've figured he was confused since her voice sounded once more. Tom could feel his eyebrows loosen from the middle of his forehead as it made sense. "My cousin. Wait... did I never tell you about her coming to visit?"

"No?" A beat. "Yes?" Another. "Okay, maybe?"

"Tom Blyth!"

"What?! I was thinking about the croissants and you were crying and it was very overwhelming, seriously. I wouldn't purposely ignore you, Rachel." Her right brow lifted and he removed his arm from her shoulders and lifted his hands in defense. "Okay, maybe sometimes, but I swear I didn't hear anything about a cousin visiting set."

Rachel nodded with a sly grin, noting something in her mind that he wouldn't know until later. At least, that's what it looked like to him. "You'll show her around, won't you?"

"Me?"

"I'll be on call tomorrow. I can't just let her roam and get lost, Tom."

Tom blinked. "Is she a child or something?"

"She's my favorite cousin." That didn't answer anything.

"And—"

"And you owe me from the time I took the blame for you breaking a prop," she smiled. It was a wide smile that showed all her teeth. The same smile where she knows she won and the other lost.

And boy did Tom Blyth lose to Rachel Zegler every time.

~ * ~ * ~

such a short chapter but next one will be longer and they'll be meeting !
so excited to delve into these two and create their journey together !