S1 Ep 12: Heating up!

A sudden crash on the kitchen floor jolted him awake. He looked around, panicked and bleary eyed until he realised it was the roof that had fallen. Well, the section they'd burned away. Getting to his feet, he wondered how long he was out for, and how loud it had been from out there. The last thing they needed right now was to be found like this. They'd look like complete idiots.

Thankfully, there were no rushing footsteps from above him, so he hesitantly climbed on the table, unstably balancing himself while trying to reach it. With a hop, he got a grip before pulling himself up enough to rest his arms against the roof - or rather - the ground now.

Like the chef said, it was almost a replica of the cabin hallways outside the kitchen, which gave way to a lingering sense of eeriness. Still, no matter how similar it looked, the important part was that it worked, and that nobody knew they were there yet.

"Anyone up there?" The anxious voice came from below, to which he scanned the halls properly.

"...I don't think so." Pulling himself the rest of the way up, he peered back down in case they needed help. Sure, he'd prefer to do this alone, but he was one Pokémon down and didn't have a spare fire type lying around. He quite literally needed their help, if only for the Heatmor.

Taking the ball off his belt, he retrieved Sparks into it, relieved that the walls here seemed to absorb the sound rather than echo it. The chef raised up a hand, to which Hank grabbed it. And, after many minutes of struggling to hit a balance between discrete and efficient, they'd finally made it up.

"So, up again I suppose?" He asked, looking to Hank for confirmation. Hank nodded, before entering a random cabin. While he was curious about who owned it, that wasn't his biggest problem right now. All he needed was a chair, which he quickly found and took outside, only to find the chef had disappeared somewhere.

Uneasy, he paced down the hall, wondering if it was an elaborate set up all along, before finding him in a passing cabin.

"Say, if we cut through here we should pop out right in the middle of the captain's quarters!" While he was relieved it wasn't a set up, and was glad they were finding this somewhat entertaining, he wondered how they knew that for certain. Still, he wasn't about to question their wisdom when they already got this far.

Closing the door, he waited for what seemed like hours for it to cut away at the roof. For longer, he waited just behind it to catch the part that fell. Finally, it came crashing down, only to be quietened by Hank catching it. However, he didn't account for the fact that it would be burning hot, and while holding back a yelp, he dropped it to the floor.

Looking at his hands, they'd gone red, and they trembled under the lingering heat remaining on his hands. "Are you alright?!"

The chef looked concerned, but he pushed that away. He had no time for this right now. With a curt nod, he painfully dragged a chair under the hole, before trying to climb up. It was much harder, as he was relying more on his wrists to carry his weight, but he managed.

The captain's quarters was larger than half of the cabins combined, and he let out a sigh of relief at the sight of a first-aid kit on the wall. Stumbling, he grabbed it, trying to ignore the stinging pain as he was forced to use the burnt part of his hands. All he could do for now was apply burn cream, before applying bandages, finding a way to wrap them with his teeth, seeing as his hands had minimal use.

The bandages made them constantly sting, however it was duller, and grabbing things was more uncomfortable than painful. Not a bad trade off, but still not ideal. Nonetheless he went to help the chef up, despite his hands screaming for him to simply stop and let them recover. But there was no time for that. They were the most useful limbs he had, what more did they expect?