Sporadic Existence

A door slams open. Glimmer went into her room after a long, stressful day of what her mother insists is 'work'. Bo was taking a family vacation, so she couldn't even talk to him at the end of the day. All she could do now was write.

Glimmer shut the door, jumped down onto her bed, and opened her diary. "Dear Diary," she read out loud, to ensure the viewers have a solid grasp on what she's thinking. "It's been a couple weeks since mom made me a 'commander' of the Rebellion. I just wish she'd let me do something, no, anything! But noooo, I have to 'man the stations' or 'be tech support' and never leave the castle once! "

Glimmer scoffed to herself, closed her book and put her hand on her cheek, bored and frustrated. "I wish there was someone who understood me..." 

Suddenly, a burst of light appeared from around six feet and four inches away from her, on her right. She looked at it and saw a figure inside.

The figure stood up and looked around for a little. "Huh. I guess I exist now."

Glimmer stared at the figure in shock. "What the...?" She got off her bed and pointed at the figure "Who are you!?" Glimmer went into a defensive stance, fists clenched.

"Uh... hm... I'mmmmm... Arby! Yeah. That name sounds like me." The figure known as 'Arby' nodded, trying to reassure himself.

"Sounds like...?" Glimmer mused to herself. "Whoa, whoa, whoa! Are you part of the Horde?" Glimmer asked, still not putting her fists away.

Arby thought about it for a moment. "I dunno."

Glimmer stared at the figure in surprise yet again. "What do you mean you 'don't know'? You can't just not know."

"Then explain this?" Arby gestured to himself. Multiple times. 

"I... okay, wait. How did you get here?" Glimmer let her guard down just a teensy weensy bit.

Arby shrugged, to Glimmer's annoyance. "Okay, where were you before this?"

Arby thought to himself. "There's no 'before'."

"What??" Glimmer said incredulously.

"There's no before! I'm just here now. I didn't exist before! I think." Arby said, seeming 100% genuine.

Glimmer was skeptical. He had to be lying! He's probably just a Horde spy, or some sort of creep who teleports into people's rooms for sick kicks! But a small, tiny, microscopic part of her was starting to believe him.

"...Why? How?" Glimmer asked, seeming curious.

"I don't know! How does anyone exist?!?" Arby exclaimed.

Glimmer thought about how to phrase her answer. "People are... born."

"Great!" said Arby. "The sky just... present-tense-of-borned me then!"

Glimmer just stared at him. She would never admit it... but she was convinced.

After a long while of silence, contemplation, and confusion, Arby pointed at her. "Cool hair!"

Glimmer instinctively put her hand on her hair and smiled, slightly looking away. "Oh, you really think so? There's no hair dye, it's all natural and everything- wait, are you trying to butter me up so I'll let you stay here?" Glimmer pointed at him skeptically.

"That's a good idea, I'm taking that." Arby said with no hesitation.

Glimmer stared at him for a few seconds before lightly chuckling. She quickly tried to stifle it, but she wasn't quick enough to stifle the whole thing.

She took a deep breath before deciding to put her hand out. "Princess Glimmer of Bright Moon, a commander of the Rebellion."

"...No, I'm Arby." said Arby.

"...That's... that's who I am, Arby." Glimmer continued.

"You're Arby too?!" Arby was shocked, since he technically has only been in existence for a couple minutes now and thus isn't that keen on social cues.

"No! I am Princess Glimmer of Bright Moon!" Glimmer yelled in frustration.

Arby put his hands on his hips. "Well why didn't you say so? Jeez."

Glimmer groaned and facepalmed. Internally, though, she was slightly amused, and failed to stop a smirk from showing. And then came a fit of giggles. Which also made Arby start to chuckle too, because laughter is contagious.

Glimmer cleared her throat and tried to look as serious as she could in the situation. "So, I'm guessing you don't have a home?"

"Kind of popped into existence just now." Arby reiterated.

'Right, he popped into existence, he doesn't have a home. Or a family? He must be lonely. Or he'll GET lonely, since he only started existing a few minutes ago. How is that even possible?? And why here of all places? In my room? I guess I should be lucky he didn't appear somewhere in the Horde. They probably would've eaten him alive... wait, what am I doing?! Focus, Glimmer! Say something to him!!'

"Ehh..." Glimmer stammered and couldn't think of anything to say. 

"Well, I guess I'm staying with you, new roomie!" Arby beamed. 

"No no no! We are not..." Glimmer thought about it for a moment. If he really was evil, then he would've done something already. And he emanates more of an "mildly annoying" energy than a "creepy stalkerish" one.

Still, it's not like there weren't other factors she had to take into account. "My mom would kill me if she saw I wanted a boy to live with us."

"Wow. Bigoted much?" Arby was mildly offended.

Glimmer's face reddened and she frantically clarified. "No! She doesn't hate men! She just, might not approve of a boy my age living with me for... obvious reasons."

"Technically, I'm not your age. I'm only like 3 minutes old." corrected Arby.

"You know what I mean!!" Glimmer snapped, making Arby flinch.

Glimmer breathed heavily before calming down. "Sorry. I'm just under a lot of pressure right now, sorry, sorry, sorry..."

"Aww, it's fine. I get it a lot." Arby reassured. "Well, I don't, but I'm sure I'll get it a lot eventually considering the circumstances."

Glimmer gently smiled at this. "Wanna come with me to ask my mom if you can stay?"

"And how!" Arby replied. 

Glimmer and Arby walked outside her room, heading towards Queen Angela. "Sooo, is your name Arby like A-R-B-Y, or is it R.B. like R period B period?"

"A-R-B-Y. Why would it be R period B period??"

"Just making sure. You'd definitely be the type of person to name yourself that, dork." Glimmer snickered and lightly punched Arby in the shoulder.  

"Ha ha ha, very funny." Arby sarcastically replied but had a smirk on his face before he turned around and started running off. "Last one to your mom's a rotting protein center!"

Glimmer pointed in the other direction. "My mom's that way." Arby zipped past her again, following where she pointed and quickly getting out "Thanks for the directions!" 

This appeared to be the start of a wonderful, although incredibly contrived, friendship.