Chapter 28: The Final Straw

Mel and Jayce's sleep was forcefully stolen from them by a thunderous wave of heavy knocking on the door to Mel's solar. For Mel to see the stern faces of her mother's warriors staring back at her did not ease her mood at all, with the councillor left wondering what reason Ambessa could have had for waking herself and Jayce up as the sun had only begun to creep over the horizon. The warriors did not say what the reason for their presence was, simply informing her that Ambessa had demanded a meeting with all the councillors in one hour, and had ordered her warriors to fetch all of them. As much as the vague answer did not satisfy her, Mel knew that Ambessa would have had a good reason for her to call a meeting, especially considering her vocal disapproval of the diplomatic processes that were so ingrained into Piltovian governance. Her mind also went to Jayce, who had barely even slumbered out of the bed by the time the warriors had left. She could only hope that whatever Ambessa's reasons were, they wouldn't push Jayce further down a path that Mel didn't want him to fall down.

Mel's eyes felt heavy as she slowly made her way to the temporary council chambers, her dress hastily thrown on and her hair tied in the most formal manner she could manage over the course of her hastened preparation time. Her state of poor appearance was only worsened due to the frantic emphasis placed upon her by Ambessa's sudden summons.

Brynden had prompted Mel to find a drastic way to even the odds against him. Mel's saving grace didn't take long to facilitate, due to her past connections, which meant that she had an ace in the hole ready to use during their next planned meeting. However, Ambessa's actions had forced Mel's hand into action sooner than she had anticipated.

A new dawn was rising for Mel, and she hoped her ploy would swing the scales back into her favour, but more importantly, away from Brynden Seastar.

Mel eventually reunited with Jayce down the corridor from their temporary council chambers, where she saw that he somehow looked even worse than he did in bed, with the grey bags under his eyes growing darker every day, and his garments almost hanging loosely from his fatigued body. The growing number of Noxian warriors patrolling around the council building growing in number the closer the pair got to the council chambers did not alleviate Mel's concerns. Their intense stoicism all but confirmed that the news she would hear from Ambessa would not be in their favour.

As Mel pushed open the doors to their meeting room, the imposing sight of Ambessa standing upright with an iron gaze bore down on them. She was not fidgeting or pacing with anticipation or nervousness, but instead, was regarding Jayce and Mel's entrance with a cold analytical and fiery ferocity that hid behind her eyes. Adding to the fierce visage was the fact that her battleaxe remained firmly clasped in one hand, the blade spanning wider than Mel's skull and the shaft of the axe causing the weapon to stand as tall as Jayce.

"What is the meaning of this, mother?" Asked Mel, her disapproval clear from her tone. Just as she was about to continue, Ambessa's cold voice cut her off, cutting down any chance for a further rebuttal.

"Sit. Down." Ambessa ordered, her tone and visage as impenetrable as a concrete wall. Mel regarded her mother with a confused, concerned and curious gaze.

"Mother, please, just tell us whatever is the matter." Pleaded Mel, her concern taking over her voice as Jayce looked on with a battered, but equally confused gaze.

"I would simply have to repeat myself when Councillor Sestar and Mr Goodbrook arrive, and I am sick of reminding people of the truth." Coldy spat Ambessa, her true and bottled up disdain escaping through her lips.

Jayce placed a soft hand on Mel's shoulder as she went to rebuttal against Ambessa's reply. His tired eyes quelled her immediate retort as he nodded towards their seats. Mel gave in, following Jayce to their seats as silent tension continued to fill the room, courtesy of Ambessa's unending and coldly quiet fury.