71

༻ Rose's POV༺

Life had never been better. For the first time ever, I could breathe easy. I didn't have to hide anymore. I didn't have to isolate anymore. Being with Matt made me happier than I ever thought possible.

The end of school was approaching fast which meant my time was divided between studying for my exams and spending time with Matt, much of which included tutoring him so we were both prepared for our end of year assignments. The weather had warmed significantly, which made the apartment a little more bearable. However, now the beer gardens were opening up, my dad was out a lot so I was rarely there.

I was starting to become much more comfortable in Matt's house, spending time with his family. Despite their wealth, they were all down to earth and there was a warmth and comfort that came with spending time with them that I couldn't explain. I kept waiting for them to stop trying with me, to decide that I wasn't the kind of girl they wanted with Matt, that I didn't fit in, but they never did. They treated me like I was a part of the family and it was starting to feel more like home than my apartment.

My alarm clock startled me awake and I felt a little disheartened when I was met with the blinding sunlight flooding my bedroom. Matt had blackout curtains that didn't let a slither of light through. His bed was also a thousand times more comfortable than mine. I blinked a few times and stretched, my feet sliding out of the bottom of the covers as I did.

There was a month or so left of school and then, I'd graduate. Summer would roll around and go just as quickly and my stomach dipped every time I thought about what would come next. College. It had been something I'd been looking forward to my whole life, but now, I wasn't so sure. I was finally happy and college no longer held the freedom and excitement it used to. Now it felt like an obstacle that would separate me and Matt.

Responses to our applications should be returned any time now and truthfully, I was dreading it. I wanted to be blissfully ignorant for a little longer.

On the flip side, I'd worked so hard all year and I desperately wanted to be accepted into Stanford. It would be the reward I deserved for all my hard work. It would make the long nights and dreaded school days' worth it.

A knock at my door sounded and a moment later, my mother poked her head around the door. "Hi," I said, offering her a smile.

She beamed back at me and stepped inside. "Happy birthday!"

For whatever reason, I flushed. I'd never liked my birthday, even when I was younger. I hated when people wished me a happy birthday and I had nothing to say back except for thank you. I hated when my parents would sing to me and I'd have to sit and endure it with a smile on my face, even though it made me incredibly uncomfortable. I hated how guilty I felt when I was given my presents and they'd have to take on extra shifts or cut back on food that week to pay for them. I hated them asking if I wanted a party every year, even though we couldn't afford it and I had no friends to invite anyway.

Birthdays had always been miserable for me and once my dad started drinking, the effort stopped. It had been a long time since we'd celebrated and now, me and my mom wished each other a happy birthday once before going about our days as normal. I preferred it that way.

"Thank you."

She turned to leave but lingered. When she turned back, her eyes seemed to glitter as though she was on the verge of tears. It caused a lump to form in my throat. "Have a great day, sweetie," she said before tugging the door shut behind her.

I released a shaky breath before twisted and getting out of my bed. The sooner I started my day, the sooner I could end it. It was finally warm enough to abandon my coat and just go for a pair of jeans and an old, ratty sweatshirt. My mind pictured Matt's sweatshirt that I'd stuffed under my bed behind some boxes. It was nicer, softer and smelled like him, but I didn't want to risk getting into trouble again.