Chapter 3

Jinshi POV

"Oh, if it isn't sir Jinshi! Where are you off to at this hour?" The lady flustered on her cheeks.

"I was just on my way back to court. Did you need something?" I smiled. 'Now it's one of the mid-ranking concubines?'

"No... But, um, may i interest you in taking tea in my chambers?" She mutters shyly.

"I still have work to do, so perhaps another time." I walked away from her as i sight in relief and continue to walk.

 In the course of one day here, I've been propoitioned by a cvil servant given aphrodisiactained food by, a soldier, and to top it all off. Been invited into the private chambers of three concubines of varying ranks. Attempting to seduce other men because the emperor won't visit them how very insolent.  

A concbine's rank is determined by her lineage, beauty, and intelligence. Of the three, intelligence is the most strictly graded.  In addition to an education appropriate to an empress, it requires a sense of virtue. I'm sure a number of the little birds trapped in this cage have realzed that my presence here is itself a test of other character. Posting me to the inner court for the sake of his selections. My master does have a rather mean streak. 

Thus far, I've championed two women to the emperor. The thoughtful and quickwitted consort Gyokuyo and consort Lihua, whose disposition is second to none despite the rare emotional true. Far from harboring ill will towards him. Consort Lihua is beyond devoted to the emperor. However, Consort Gyokuyo will most lieky continue as the favorite. The last time the emperor visited consort Lihua, who has all but wasted away was after the crown prince's passing. He hoards all these women suitable for himself and the nation makes them bear him off spring. And if they are no longer capable, discards them without a second thought. My master or no, i have to admit he's rather cruel.

Those who are deemed unwanted are either sent back to their homes or passed off to officials. That reminds me, one of the mid-ranking concubines is to be bestowed upon a military officer.

Anyway, there should be no trouble as long as i keep to the plan. But to do so, I may need to put that professional herbalist to more work yet. She just might turn out to be more useful than i could have ever imagined. I'm sure Huifen means to hide it but the way she gives me a cold heart on the ouside. I've certainly met many before who've taken no carnal interest in me. But, she's the first to ever look at me like that. I do know she does have a soft side on inside she is a different than other women. 

I opened the door as i grin thinking about Huifen. ' I'm no masochist, but i find Huifen intriguing. I feel like I've discovered a new toy to play with.'

I noticed that their was box of Baozi buns still there on the table. 

'Perhaps, you can a visit from him tonight.'  Hufien softly smirk on her face.

I closed the door. 'Better safe than sorry...'

🍃 🍃 🍃 

Hufien POV

The next day Maomao and I have a bag. As she says with a smile and 'cat ears'. "We're leaving now." 

"Good luck" Huwang looked at us.

We rushed to where we were heading. Though the team 'panacea' exists an actual cure for all ill does not. So my Pa told me and Maomao. Taken back by this i began experimenting in the hope of developing a true panacea. But acheving that goal is still a long way off.

"Pardon us!" As I saw two men I slightly moved abit more back as we entered 'The doctor and....'

"Miss Huifen, Miss Maomao. Let me introduce myself. I am Gaoshun. I'm Jinshi assistant. Pleased to make your acquaintance." He introducted himself.